Dunwoody-Jen

Chirping
Feb 23, 2019
Question about feed.
We are feeding our chicks a medicated starter feed. The bag says that this should be fed till they are 18 weeks but I have read elsewhere that they need to move to “developer” feed at 6 weeks and then in to “layer” feed at 6 months. What’s the skinny? We bought a big bag of starter feed!

Question about feed.
We are feeding our chicks a medicated starter feed. The bag says that this should be fed till they are 18 weeks but I have read elsewhere that they need to move to “developer” feed at 6 weeks and then in to “layer” feed at 6 months. What’s the skinny? We bought a big bag of starter feed!
When they are done with the starter, switch them to a grower or flock raiser with 18-20% protein and leave them on that for life.
When the pullets get around 15 weeks of age, offer oyster shell in a separate container on the side. Something that cannot be knocked over easily. They will eat this when they are ready.
Layer feed is typically lower in protein, usually around 16%. It is my opinion that this is a minimum requirement but not optimal. Additionally, if you intend to have a rooster(s) in your flock, the additional calcium in the layer mixes is not good for them. Nor a non-laying hen (read: winter break and molting period here).

I would feed the bag until it's gone, then you can switch to a grower, or all flock, or even another starter (non medicated). Once they begin laying you can switch to a layer feed if you want, or they can stay on grower/all flock type feed for life. Oyster shells on the side will take care of the calcium need for layers.

Agree with not switching to a layer feed. The biggest difference is the calcium content and protein %. Have a container of oyster shell available, when your chickens are about to start laying, they will consume what they need. I feed a 20% non medicated start grow.

How many chicks do you have and how many lbs of feed? Try to use up all feed by 2 months after the mill date. Nutrient values start to decrees at this point. Mill dates can be hard to figure out, if you don't know what your looking for. If you have any questions about finding the date, just ask and someone will be able to help you. The feed I use,(Bartlett Mill) has the day of the year it was milled stamped on the bag.

If the feed is called Start & Grow or Starter Grower and its 18% Protein, then it is in fact good for day old chicks to 18 weeks.
I feed a Medicated Start & Grow feed till 10 weeks then change to a Non-medicated Starter Grower or a All-Flock/Flock Raiser crumble and continue to feed throughout the layers life with Oyster Shells separately. GC

Agree with not switching to a layer feed. The biggest difference is the calcium content and protein %. Have a container of oyster shell available, when your chickens are about to start laying, they will consume what they need. I feed a 20% non medicated start grow.

How many chicks do you have and how many lbs of feed? Try to use up all feed by 2 months after the mill date. Nutrient values start to decrees at this point. Mill dates can be hard to figure out, if you don't know what your looking for. If you have any questions about finding the date, just ask and someone will be able to help you. The feed I use,(Bartlett Mill) has the day of the year it was milled stamped on the bag.
5 female chicks and 40lbs of start and grow. It seems the consensus here is not to use “layer” feed at all at any point since it is too low in protein but to use flock raiser feed and supplement with crushed oyster shells separately. Any particular brands that are recommended or discouraged?

Back
Top Bottom