Chick fell in water?

amaliayosa

Songster
11 Years
Mar 12, 2008
Blue Ridge Mountains, NC
Hello everyone, I have a quick question. One of my chicks (4 days old) must have fallen in the waterer, when i went in to check on them today she was wet and sticky (there is sugar in the water) I took a moistened paper towel aand cleaned her off, and towel dried her the best I could. h as since been standing under the heat lamp.
The problem is her fluff is all hard and crusty now from the sgar water, and im not sure if I should try and wash her off (use a bit more water) or just leave her alone.
Any advise. I am a newbie, this is my first experience with chicks and and like a typical anxious new mom!
Thanks in advance.

Amy

Well, that'll be the very sweetest chick of all, lol!!
lau.gif
lau.gif

jk!! I would be really upset had it drowned, but since it is fine, it is a cute story ..don't mean to be insensitive
smile.png

Last edited:
Whenever I have baby chicks, I put a rock or something in their water that they can use to climb on and out of water dish, even if it is not too deep, just gives them something so they can climb out. Its really really sad when they drown. When I was a small kid, our hatched chickies fell into the water and drowned and I never forgot that.
sad.png

Last edited:
Yeah, there have been cases of baby chicks drowing in the red based chick waterers that have water depths of half an inch.

She's probably under the light because she got a bit chilled in the water and being wiped with a wet towel. You could rince her off, but you willl have to keep her extra warm in the water and till she dries. Only recommended if she is highly crunchy though. She can probably clean her self up in the next few weeks. At 4 days they don't need the sugar water any more.

ok, I will put some marbles in. Question. I used marbles in the waterer of our newly hatched quail. Do you think I have to steralize them before putting them in the chicks watere? If so, what should I use?

Back
Top Bottom