chick food

Rudy Rooster

Hatching
11 Years
Jan 12, 2009
I am new at this. Are chicks just really messy? They empty the feed and just scatter it all over. There is more on the bottom of the brooder than I can imagine that they have eaten.

Oh my, not just chicks, they get messier the bigger they get. Are you using a chick feeder?
hmm.png

just take the time to make a set time for them to be fead, i do mine four or five times aday, and the don't waste as much, but it takes time to train them

I can never fill the jar on a chick feeder. No matter how I set it up they just keep dumping it out until it's all across the brooder. I fill the feeder bottom and put the jar on empty and just try to refill as needed. If I have fewer chicks I use smaller containers so they have no more than 1 days worth of food. Right now my 5 button quail chicks and 1 bantam chick are using the bottom cut off a pill container. With 24 button quail or 2-5 bantams I used the bottom off a plastic or syrofoam cup until they got bigger.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v244/aqh88/chickens/brooder/?action=view&current=sany0678.flv

I'm having the same problem with my chicks....they do seem to eat a LOT...but there's also a LOT of spilled food. This morning I set the feeder on paper towels so they could easily find and eat their spilled food (instead of the food going under the shavings). They basically emptied their feeder, so I took it out and now they just have to eat what's on the paper towel and what they've scratched off the paper towel and into the shavings...LOL. Crazy chicks! When they've eaten enough of the spilled food, I'll put more in their feeder again.

Back
Top Bottom