Chick foot problem please help!

I came to check on them and took off the wraps to check and her foot was swollen. It’s like a blister and part of the skin broke from the wrap being too tight but she seemed fine when I put it on. They’re currently in Epsom salt and I feel terrible.
Oh, that looks infected. I'm not sure what to do for chickens so hopefully someone who's been doing this longer can help.

I put peroxide on it and it didn’t bubble. Only put bandages on once.
Don't use peroxide again, good for an initial disinfectant but it can kill tender healing healthy tissue.
Just keep up with the epsom soaks and be very careful bandaging.
@Wyorp Rock will be back to continue guiding you...
... and/or @Eggcessive and/or @Pyxis will chime in too.
I don't know enough about it to advise further.

I agree, keep up with epsom salt soaks daily. I'm a little on the fence on whether or not wrapping it is a good idea in this case, as ideally with an open wound you'd like for it to drain out instead of keeping the infection in, but that would mean you'd need to keep the brooder (or at least the area that chick is in) as clean as possible.

How would I drain it?
Some folks do 'minor surgery' to dig out a foot infection(often called bumblefoot).
It's really not so minor, but rather very intrusive.

At this point I wouldn't try to actively drain it, just let whatever fluid is already in there leak out on it's own so hopefully the swelling goes down.
Ditto Dat^^^

Back
Top Bottom