Chick Grit and treats. How soon is too soon?

SavvySilkieMom

Chirping
Nov 27, 2019
Hi I love this app and all the forums and just a thank you in advance for all the help.
I have 2 silkie chicks in the brooder and I would love to start feeding them some treats once in a while and I know they need grit to grind down whatever is not starter feed.
I purchased some chick grit and left it in the brooder in a container.
Should it be served this way or in their food?
When can I start feeding them treats after I supply them with the grit?
Love you guys Thank you again!♡♡♡
One is 3 weeks old and the other is 1 week three days old.

Attachments

• Snapchat-1577981488.jpg
    Snapchat-1577981488.jpg
    438.5 KB · Views: 126
It is never too early to provide grit. I give chick grit from day one.
Treats are a different story. Anything that isn't providing the exact nutrients baby chicks need has the potential to slow growth and possibly cause other development issues.
The correct blend of essential amino acids in the correct amounts as well as the right vitamins, minerals, fats and fiber will be the best thing you can do for them. They don't need treats, they need a good fresh chick starter.

I don't offer treats till they are 10 weeks old.
Medicated Start and Grow feed for 10 weeks. (Don't use Medicated feed if Chicks were inoculated for Coccidiosis).
At 2 weeks old I mix Chick Grit into feed at a ratio of 1/40, by weight, till 10 weeks old. 2 ounces Grit/5 pounds feed. 10 ounces/25 pounds. 20181018_180944.jpg .
I only mix into 5 lbs of feed at a time, easier to mix evenly.
After 7 weeks old I offer Adult size Poultry Grit in a separate container. 20181214_095809.jpg . GC

You'll get different answers from everyone. I provide grit from the start but sprinkle a little of it on their food (once they're older I'll have it on the side instead.) I also start hand feeding small amounts of treats after about a week or so, so they start getting used to my hand and being handled.

Yea I see some people dont do treats until later.
They are going to be purely pets to me so i would like to start using the treats to help "train" as much as training works on chickens LOL
They actually enjoy being handled once out of the brooder and in the sun on some news paper. They just kind of lay out on our hands. I would like to get them to come to me when I call so i thought if i associate coming when called with food I would be a little luckier.
Thanks for the advice

Hi I love this app and all the forums and just a thank you in advance for all the help.
I have 2 silkie chicks in the brooder and I would love to start feeding them some treats once in a while and I know they need grit to grind down whatever is not starter feed.
I purchased some chick grit and left it in the brooder in a container.
Should it be served this way or in their food?
When can I start feeding them treats after I supply them with the grit?
Love you guys Thank you again!♡♡♡
One is 3 weeks old and the other is 1 week three days old.
As always, you will get many opinions - everyone does it a bit different I suppose.
So I'll give you my 2¢:)

Yes, you are giving the grit right. I give grit first thing!
My chicks get free choice chick starter, but I do love giving them a "treat"! So...they get either scrambled egg or hard boiled egg. I've found chicks prefer the yolk when giving hard boiled egg, so they get that. Just a little bit, crumbled up fine. (depending on age and how many chicks, this may be just a 1/4 to 1/2 of yolk!)

I also give them a pan of dirt within the first week - this consists of "clean dirt" which is from the yard or garden, "dirty dirt" which is sifted from the existing chicken run, ash and sometimes sand. I might toss a bit of chick grit in there too. Depending on the time of year, a small plug of sod gets plopped in there too. This gives chicks something to dust bath in, to dig, they are exposed to dirt they will encounter later on in life, etc. Just know, if you have them inside, they will make a dusty mess! Getting them outside as quickly as possible should be your goal.

Have fun with your chicks, you'll be amazed at how fast they grow.

Back
Top Bottom