Chick Grit

Clminer

Chirping
Sep 27, 2018
Tennessee
I have searched forum and can’t find anything on chick grit. I’ve read other places they don’t need it if they are eating commercial feed. Some places I’ve read they do need it. My question is do 6 week old chicks eating Purina Start and Grow non medicated even need grit. I’ve been mixing it in like salting their food with it in their feeder. If they do need it I would like to have some sort of grit dispenser or bowl of grit to keep full for them when they go to the coop. If I do that will they just fill up on grit or not eat grit at all?? Any grit dispenser ideas appreciated.

I never offer grit. By 6-8 weeks my chicks are outside and can find their own. If you are feeding grains that need grinding in their gizzards you need grit. Otherwise it isn't necessary.

Are they on wire floor or pine shavings or what? I kept chicks on pine shavings and one got impacted crop at 1 week old. I offered chick grit and it got better.
You must offer grit if they are on some sort of plant based substrate. I keep them on puppy pads until 3 days old. Then I add pine shavings and I sprinkle grit into the pine shavings. Good luck with your chicks!

I use pine shavings too, never had a problem personally. I put down paper towels on top of them that first week.

Are they on wire floor or pine shavings or what? I kept chicks on pine shavings and one got impacted crop at 1 week old. I offered chick grit and it got better.
You must offer grit if they are on some sort of plant based substrate. I keep them on puppy pads until 3 days old. Then I add pine shavings and I sprinkle grit into the pine shavings. Good luck with your chicks!
Pine shavings. They will be 6 weeks old Monday and going to their big coop from their smaller brooder. They will have an outside run after the first few days of adjusting to the new coop.

I feed small amounts of treats so I do use chick grit. Thankfully my feed store carries it in the bulk section so I can just buy a scoop or two as needed.

I personally find it easiest to just sprinkle a little on their food every other day or so. Once they get bigger I use a separate dispenser for pullet/hen grit.

If you have the grit, offer it free choice, and if they need it they'll eat it. Any treats or other foods that are not commercial feed, require adding grit.

Once my chicks are moved outside they don’t get grit anymore. When I give grit to my chicks I mix it in with their feed.

Edit: If my chickens seem not to have enough grit I will sprinkle some in their pen. I never give grit if my hens are free ranging.

Once my chicks are moved outside they don’t get grit anymore. When I give grit to my chicks I mix it in with their feed.

Edit: If my chickens seem not to have enough grit I will sprinkle some in their pen. I never give grit if my hens are free ranging.
How can you tell if they aren’t getting enough grit?

Back
Top Bottom