Chick has a couple curled toes

kara_leigh

Songster
8 Years
May 3, 2011
Bradleyville, MO
I got 24 chicks on Wednesday, they are 5 days old now. One of my Speckled Sussex girls has a couple curled toes, the outer toe on each foot. The toe on her left foot isn't too bad, but the one on the right is curled to the side pretty bad. It doesn't seem to affect her walking very much, but she holds that foot up a lot. Tonight we tried making her the little cardboard and bandaid shoes for her feet, and when I put her back in with the rest of the chicks they started beating the crud out of her. Pecking at her feet really bad and stomping all over her. I pulled her back out and she is now sitting in my lap under a warm fuzzy blanket, sleeping.

Is it worth it to put the devices on her feet? Will it hurt her too much to let her grow up with a crooked toe? I don't want to do more harm than good.

Anyone? Help please! I'm afraid to put her back in with the other chicks b/c I don't want them to kill her. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

I have info on chick shoes & separating a chick from others on my website linked in my sig. I hope it can help your little one.

When I've had chicks pester one with leg bandages, they've seemed to quit in less than 30 minutes or so. It might help to put your chick with just one other for a little while & then add more? Or to keep your hand next to her to ward off any pecking chicks until they get used to seeing her shoe.

Also, the chick will probably get stomped on less as she gets more skilled at walking in the shoe.

Last edited:
Do a search on curled toes and find the link that shows you how to make a boot. If the others aren't picking on her, then put her back with the others. Also, look at the advise for vitamins that can help with this too. Hopefully someone with more info will see this in the morning but I know you can find it in the search. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom