Chick has a weak leg...

Yeet

In the Brooder
May 31, 2018
Hello, ive found a lot of helpful things on here in the past and im really hoping for some help on this chick i received. I dont know how old he is exactly but i would guess maybe a week??? Anyways, he was being picked on a lot hense why he was givin to me. He eats wonderfully and drinks no problem, he actively chirps, and picks himself up when he wants to move, but his left leg is very weak.

It doesnt seem like splayed or spraddle leg because it isnt jutting out to the side and he can lift himself up to stand, but not for long. I considered a slipped tendon but nothing seems swollen and he doesnt have a problem extending the leg. What he cant do is put a lot of weight on it. Ill get im to stand but can feel him putting most of the weight on his right leg. He can also tuck it beneath him to lay down but will sometimes lean to his side. I know the five Welsummer chicks (that have since been introduced to the flock) would sleep on their sides a lot though, so im not sure if that has anything to do with the leg problem.

Ive also noticed he will stretch the leg out straight and hold it there, causing him to lean to the side, i dont know what this means or if it could be some sort of spraddle leg?

Im not sure whats wrong or if its just sore from him being bullied...? Any help or suggestions to what it could be or how to help it would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. his name is Bagel cuz he was givin to me in a bagel box and i am terrible at naming.

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC. Bagel sounds good. Can you post a picture of the chick standing? I would start some poultry vitamins right away that contain riboflavin and other B vitamins.

Welcome to BYC. Bagel sounds good. Can you post a picture of the chick standing? I would start some poultry vitamins right away that contain riboflavin and other B vitamins.
Thank you for replying, and ill definitely pursue the vitamins. He looks relatively normal when standing, he just holds his left leg slightly off the ground (one closest to the camera) and uses the other for support
15278161490762100669631.jpg

Back
Top Bottom