Chick has bottom half of egg stuck to its butt!! Help!!!!

lazyoranch

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 18, 2010
Pleasant Hill
Please forgive me for all of these questions! First time hatcher here. I have a chick who has the bottom half of the shell stuck to its rear. If I can see correctly, looks like the yolk hasn't been completely absorbed as of yet. Today is day 20. The chick seems to be doing fine. It is cheeping its head off!

Also, another question I have is how long does it usually take for a chick to dry? Temp in bator is at 99.5 and humidity is just under 70. It went up when chick hatched.

I have 3 other eggs in the bator, but no one has pipped and I have not seen any rocking or heard sounds. Should I assume that they have died? The chick that hatched was from the smallest egg of the 4. The other eggs are larger. Is it normal for no activity on day 20?

If this chick is the only one that hatches, how do I raise it alone? Will it be okay alone in a brooder? I have other chicks, but they are almost 3 weeks old. I have more arriving next week from a hatchery however. But that doesn't help me now.

Well, I think that is all of my questions for now. Thank you so much for your help!!!

Last edited:
How long has the chick had the shell stuck to its bottom ? Usually after resting a bit, the chick starts flopping around in the incubator, and the shell should come off. I would keep a close eye on that though, you don't want the chick to get pasty butt.

Due to the humidity in the incubator, the chicks don't dry out right away, takes several hours, and they don't fluff out until after I take them out of the incubator.

I personally don't give up on eggs until a week after I think they are going to hatch. I hatch eggs from my own chickens and I write down the date they go in the incubator, even if there are already babies bopping around in the egg (hens leaving the nest *sigh*).

These are my personal experiences, I have hatched eggs many times as a kid, (25 yrs ago ?) before the internet, and I am just now getting back into it. I *love* it, and I love all of my chickees too. Congrats on the baby, and be patient and see how it goes. It will be interesting to see what others on the forum have to say.

Don`t give up on your eggs if it is only day 20. Incubation with all the right condition takes 21 days. If you little chick is newly hatched I would not worry about the shell. Sometimes they drag it along which the last bit of they yolk is being absorbed. Hard to watch but I would suggest waiting a bit to see if it falls off on its own. You don`t want to open your incubator as the humidity is important right now. Good luck and keep us posted. Congrats on your first baby!

UPDATE-- The chick came out of the bottom half of its shell, but it looks like its vent didn't close properly. It looks like a hemorroid. Will it be okay? The chick seems fine otherwise.

I have a chick thats had his bit of shell attached with a bit of white stuff...just barely hanging on his butt. It's been a whole day..what do i do? The umbilical cord looks dried out butt he's still attached? Will he be okay? Do i need to interveen and how?

What happened with this baby? My 2nd keet has this same thing. Dragging egg thats attached to his butt. He was just hatched 2 minutes ago and I dont know if its normal. Still a little bit of yolk left.

I have a chick that took forever to hatch after it pipped the first hole. She stayed in the egg, cracking it a little more each day, but definitely not as fast as her two brood mates. She finally got one leg out, but that was all the progress she could make on her own. I did like the video shows (on another thread here) and helped with the zip line, and she was out the next morning. However...she still has a bit of shell attached to her butt and it's been a full day. It was a LARGE piece of shell that she dragged around, but I helped crack pieces of it off that didn't have anything but dried membrane or shell. Anyway, she's moving and chirping a little, but do I let her deal with the egg piece or do I intervene, and if I intervene...when and how? She's the third chick I've hatched and I've got 3 more in the 'bator waiting, or making me wait, at least. Any help is appreciated!

I have a baby chick that is in the hatchery now she has hatched but we had to help her and she had the bottom of her shell on her butt she is moving around and chirping but her eye look like they might have feathers on them we are waiting for her feathers to dry out but idk what to do we did see blood so we stopped we are going to let her rest in the hatchery for the night and see what happens in the morning but is there something ells that we need to do? If you need a picture of her i can take one

Back
Top Bottom