Chick hatched - leg trembling

Rachnwoody

In the Brooder
Nov 30, 2023
I had to assist a hatch today (day 30) external pip (big hole) started to zip clockwise, head under right wing and didn’t progress. Assisted hatch was without complication. Chick kicked free, but laid on side with one leg trembling very visibly. It has now been 5 hrs since hatch. Chick is drying out, is awake but unable to stand. Throws itself around trying to get its feet under itself but can’t. Legs don’t look splayed, but feet are curled up. Trembling has stopped, but I am unsure what if anything I should do?

Attachments

• IMG_1821.jpeg
    IMG_1821.jpeg
    327.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1822.jpeg
    IMG_1822.jpeg
    333.1 KB · Views: 6
I had to assist a hatch today (day 30) external pip (big hole)
Is that accurate.. day 30?? If so then your incubator or calibration are off or your temps were set incorrectly for your device type.. that's WAY too late for chicken chicks. Did others hatch, when?

Are you in the US?

Poultry nurti drench sometimes works wonders (instantly, no digestion required).. hold the chick in hand with beak facing the bend in your forefinger.. drip a drop directly below the nostrils and use your forefinger to help catch and direct the drop and beak together.. the chick will gobble and swallow as the liquid roles into the mouth.. I have never aspirated a chick this way.. I have aspirated some,, trying to dunk beaks to drink.

Is that accurate.. day 30?? If so then your incubator or calibration are off or your temps were set incorrectly for your device type.. that's WAY too late for chicken chicks. Did others hatch, when?

Are you in the US?

Poultry nurti drench sometimes works wonders (instantly, no digestion required).. hold the chick in hand with beak facing the bend in your forefinger.. drip a drop directly below the nostrils and use your forefinger to help catch and direct the drop and beak together.. the chick will gobble and swallow as the liquid roles into the mouth.. I have never aspirated a chick this way.. I have aspirated some,, trying to dunk beaks to drink.
This is the peafowl forum. 30 days is normal.

I had to assist a hatch today (day 30) external pip (big hole) started to zip clockwise, head under right wing and didn’t progress. Assisted hatch was without complication. Chick kicked free, but laid on side with one leg trembling very visibly. It has now been 5 hrs since hatch. Chick is drying out, is awake but unable to stand. Throws itself around trying to get its feet under itself but can’t. Legs don’t look splayed, but feet are curled up. Trembling has stopped, but I am unsure what if anything I should do?
I hope your peachick is ok. I wish I could help but I haven't had to deal with this with a peachick before. Hopefully some of the experienced members will be here shortly.

In the meantime, I agree with the others about the vitamins and the shoes and I would suggest doing some reading on here. Here is a really good thread that goes into some detail about shoes specifically in relation to peachicks so that might be a good place to start. I believe time is critical with the shoes so hopefully that will help you get started. You can also do an advanced search with keywords within the peafowl forum. I would suggest searching for posts by@KsKingBee because I know he has helped many others with similar issues.

For babies like that I always start off putting them in a nest bowl. Just a small container with shredded paper like you find in gift baskets. I use my fist to make a rounded hole in the center, then set the chick in it with it's feet and legs in a proper position. Then I pop bowl and chick back into the incubator for a few to several hours and see if that's enough to correct everything. It often is. If it's not, then further help depends on the babies condition when I decide the bowls not enough. I check the babies legs and feet every so often to make sure the toes are still in an open position under the baby while it's in the nest bowl.

Hope babies doing ok.

I always just use 2 small strips of transparent sticky tape, because if you do it as soon as they dry off the toes are usually fixed once the tape falls off itself. I keep quail though, which have smaller and generally easier feet to fix.
I hope your peachick is ok! ♥️

When a chick internally pips it starts breathing air and that causes the bones to start to harden. When the chick takes an extra two days to escape the shell the toes and ankle can be balled up and will have trouble flattening out. Sometimes when only the toes are curled the tape shoes are enough but in your case, it will affect the ankles and hock both at the knee and in the hip. Another problem can be slipping the tendon because the knee has had pressure on the side of the leg.

Putting the chick on the cardboard will fix all of these problems if done right away. I should add that a slipped tendon will also require taping the knee to hold the tendon in place but you may not have that problem yet.

The last pic is a severely twisted ankle which will need another type of brace but in a more mild form, the cardboard can help with this too.
IMG_8089.JPG
IMG_8088.JPG
IMG_8087.JPG
IMG_8336.JPG

Back
Top Bottom