Chick hatched to early

copon2900

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 1, 2013
Dorset, England
One of my nine eggs pipped today, and it was at the wrong end of the egg. I made a little hole in the membrane so he could breath, and everything was fine. I went out for a while and when I had got back, nothing had changed, but he wasn't peeping anymore. I made the hole a little bigger and still no bleeding. After about 2 hours, he had pushed himself all the way out. There was quite a lot of blood in the shell and the yolk sac was almost absorbed but not fully, the blood was coming from where the yolk sac was. He is very weak, and keeps his eyes closed. I put him on a damp cloth in the incubator.

Does anyone know if he's going to be ok? I know it's a long shot... But I really want him to live.

Thanks for any help, Nicola

It may be just fine. I had to help a breech a few weeks ago and it was so tired! try to keep it on paper towels until it obsorbes the yolk and give it some Gatorade when its awake a bit with a dropper. It really helps perk them up!

Be careful with the paper towels though. Watch to be sure the lil guy isnt slipping around when trying to walk. It could cause spraddle leg. I had one go spraddle a couple of months ago and had to put it down. Its underside was bleeding pretty bad from dragging himself.

He is now in the brooder as the yolk has absorbed. However, another one hasn't absorbed the yolk and is still in the incubator, should I put it on a paper towel?

One of the chicks has been in the incubator all day, as he can't walk. He's fluffy and dried out, but sleeps a lot and doesn't walk, is there something wrong?

Back
Top Bottom