New baby chicks! Why is she so unactive?

TesoroSena

Crowing
Jan 5, 2023
Tennessee
So a broody mama hatched five babies, but one rir is acti ng wierd. She isn't coming out to eat with the others and is very fluffed up, like she is cold. It is very warm in there though. No bloody poop, so no coccidiosis, but she is very quiet also. Hen is taking good care otherwise, of her, coaxing her to eat, but she just won't. Another piece of info that might be helpful is that her shell was stepped on during her hatching. She had no injuries, but i had to help her out because she couldn't get out from where the shell was mushed. Her membrane was bloody, and her yolk sac wasn't fully absorbed. I let her dry under mama, and in the morning her yolk sac was absorbed. Any advice would be appreciated!

So a broody mama hatched five babies, but one rir is acti ng wierd. She isn't coming out to eat with the others and is very fluffed up, like she is cold. It is very warm in there though. No bloody poop, so no coccidiosis, but she is very quiet also. Hen is taking good care otherwise, of her, coaxing her to eat, but she just won't. Another piece of info that might be helpful is that her shell was stepped on during her hatching. She had no injuries, but i had to help her out because she couldn't get out from where the shell was mushed. Her membrane was bloody, and her yolk sac wasn't fully absorbed. I let her dry under mama, and in the morning her yolk sac was absorbed. Any advice would be appreciated!
Have you checked her vent to see if she has dried poo blocking her ?

She isn't coming out to eat with the others and is very fluffed up, like she is cold. It is very warm in there though. No bloody poop, so no coccidiosis,
Only one or two of the 9-11 strains of coccidia will present as blood in droppings.. all other strains will NOT do that.. please treat for it if that's what you think you might be seeing. It takes at least 6 days after exposure before any symptoms will present.. I didn't catch actual age of chick.

Also get a double check that any pasty butt is clear.. I've see it happen even under a broody despite all the folks who say it's caused by over heating the brooder.. it can be caused by any mumber of things.

Another piece of info that might be helpful is that her shell was stepped on during her hatching. She had no injuries, but i had to help her out because she couldn't get out from where the shell was mushed. Her membrane was bloody, and her yolk sac wasn't fully absorbed. I let her dry under mama, and in the morning her yolk sac was absorbed. Any advice would be appreciated!
Mushy chick syndrome *MIGHT* be at play..

Or there may be other internal things not working well.

Got any poultry nurti drench on hand or able to get some from TSC, etc? Sometimes it works miracles.. direct dosed to the beak of the chick.. it's patented for rapid absorption and doesn't require going through the digestive track to work.

:fl

Have you checked her vent to see if she has dried poo blocking her ?
Yes, and it is clean.
My guess is that the chick could be dehydrated. Have you tried assisted watering?
I have showed her the water, had her drink, and she has drank a few times that i saw, but just not eating.
Only one or two of the 9-11 strains of coccidia will present as blood in droppings.. all other strains will NOT do that.. please treat for it if that's what you think you might be seeing. It takes at least 6 days after exposure before any symptoms will present.. I didn't catch actual age of chick.

Also get a double check that any pasty butt is clear.. I've see it happen even under a broody despite all the folks who say it's caused by over heating the brooder.. it can be caused by any mumber of things.
She is 4 days today, and her poo is green. Does that have anything to do with it?

Back
Top Bottom