chick hatched with bloody yolk hanging out, please help

FolkSonginC

Songster
May 2, 2019
Peaks Island, ME
one of my chicks just hatched and when I went to take it out of the incubator I saw that it hadn't fully absorbed its yolk sack/blood vessels and it has a bloody mess hanging from its naval and still attached to the shell. I took it out with the shell and put it in a quarantine container, the chick is very loud and restless but the yolk looks terrible and it is getting blood everywhere plus got blood all over all the remaining eggs in the incubator. There were some other things hanging out that god forbid I hope are not its organs, but did not look like yolk. I couldn't get a picture of the other things hanging out but here is the chick. Any help would be greatly appreciated as soon as possible, I posted this in another forum but no responses yet so maybe someone can help here. What could have caused this?
IMG_20210506_075351944.jpg

This is not good and this probably will not end well... Meaning this chick is probably going to die so be prepared.

Do you have a salt tested humidity gauge, that was separately purchased, in your incubator?
I don't know how to salt test humidity gauges but I had a brand new thermometer/hygrometer from incubator warehouse in there that's supposed to be very accurate which is why I got it, I also had a brinsea spot check thermometer to compare temp. I had the humidity around 30-40% throughout incubation because I usually dry hatch and just check air cells to see if the humidity is right and everything seemed fine. I bumped it up to 70% for lockdown. Could it have been from too much/too little humidity?

Last edited:
I don't know if this could help pinpoint what the problem was but one of the chicks pipped on the wrong end and died before I could get to it, and one of the two healthy chicks that hatched seems to have curled toes. I have never had any of these problems before, and this is out of 12 (shipped) eggs. Seems to be turning out to be a pretty terrible hatch, only seven made it to lockdown and it's now almost day 22 and only these three have hatched. I hand turned this time and used a forced air magicfly incubator that I have not used before (I thought it would be better than my old still air styrofoam one)

Last edited:
Does anyone know what I should do to at least give the chick a better chance of surviving? Should I let the yolk dry up? Should I keep it moist? The chick seems okay but it doesn't look like its absorbed anything.

Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry. There isn't anything you can do to rush the process, it looks like the chick was still trying to absorb the blood vessels in the membrane as well as the yolk sac. Having it in the separate container and giving it time in the Incubator is all that can be done at the moment. Hopefully it will finish absorbing the yolk sac. :fl

Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry. There isn't anything you can do to rush the process, it looks like the chick was still trying to absorb the blood vessels in the membrane as well as the yolk sac. Having it in the separate container and giving it time in the Incubator is all that can be done at the moment. Hopefully it will finish absorbing the yolk sac. :fl
I currently have it in the brooder so I'm worried because it seems to be drying out and sticking to the paper towel a little. I still can't tell what's hanging out of its naval but I'm kind of worried that if it sticks to the paper towel the chick will try to move and yank more stuff out of the naval? makes me sick thinking about it but I have no idea what to do.

Back
Top Bottom