Chick hatched with organs out

thebeesaresleepy

In the Brooder
Aug 12, 2022
I just had to help a chick hatch because she had something catching her beak leaving her unable to move to properly zip. when she pushed her way out the egg her organs were still unabsorbed. if i leave her separate from the other chicks is there a chance she will finish absorbing them? everything i’ve looked at hasn’t looked as intense as how she looks, it isn’t just intestines thats hanging out.

Attachments

• 89ACB29D-13B7-46EB-8B29-992AD308CDA7.jpeg
    89ACB29D-13B7-46EB-8B29-992AD308CDA7.jpeg
    335.9 KB · Views: 51
I just had to help a chick hatch because she had something catching her beak leaving her unable to move to properly zip. when she pushed her way out the egg her organs were still unabsorbed. if i leave her separate from the other chicks is there a chance she will finish absorbing them? everything i’ve looked at hasn’t looked as intense as how she looks, it isn’t just intestines thats hanging out.
that isn’t an umbilical hernia, nor a yolk sack, nor a prolapse. those are its intestines. Those are never “unabsored”, afaik.

are you willing to euthanize? you can attemtp to gently get her intestines back inside of her,but honesly? The likelihood she lives is rare. I would put her to sleep,

Poor baby. You're going to have to put it down - I had a similar situation a few years ago and it died shortly after hatching. I'm really sorry.

that isn’t an umbilical hernia, nor a yolk sack, nor a prolapse. those are its intestines. Those are never “unabsored”, afaik.

are you willing to euthanize? you can attemtp to gently get her intestines back inside of her,but honesly? The likelihood she lives is rare. I would put her to sleep,
she has already been put down. it was necessary since she was pushing her organs out every time she peeped or moved, which was also causing her some blood loss. i did attempt to push her organs in, but since there was more than just the intestines it wasn’t possible for me to do.

i know that blood vessels and the yolk aren’t absorbed until they begin hatching, but i was unsure if there was anything else that they need to absorb as well which is why i asked.

for anyone seeing this in the future, please do continue to share anything you can to this thread. so that i, and future readers, can learn more about this and what to do if it happens. :(

Poor baby. You're going to have to put it down - I had a similar situation a few years ago and it died shortly after hatching. I'm really sorry.
she has been put down, it sucks because she was such a fighter. i just posted another message, but there wasn’t anything i could do as just existing like any other chick would was causing her to push her organs out more. i do hope that someone can help me learn what else that is sticking out, it was connected to the intestines and her craw was already full with yolk. whatever that was stuck to the intestines is why i couldn’t attempt to insert her intestines.

she has already been put down. it was necessary since she was pushing her organs out every time she peeped or moved, which was also causing her some blood loss. i did attempt to push her organs in, but since there was more than just the intestines it wasn’t possible for me to do.

i know that blood vessels and the yolk aren’t absorbed until they begin hatching, but i was unsure if there was anything else that they need to absorb as well which is why i asked.

for anyone seeing this in the future, please do continue to share anything you can to this thread. so that i, and future readers, can learn more about this and what to do if it happens. :(
So so tragic. I’m so sorry for your loss, friend :hugs:hugsit’s always those doomed fighters that make their ways into our hearts. For me, it was a blind chick and one with a massive cyst in her leg. They’re all gone to soon, but I like to imagine all our doomed chicks find each other somewhere. Or maybe a shot at life again

Back
Top Bottom