Chick Hatched with Yolk and blood

Yeah, That toe's definately crooked, probably broken. Do you know what might have caused it? I have one chicken that has crooked toes but a few times a year they'll straighten out for a while so it might not be a really big deal

That lump looks gnarly...it may heal up OK , or not.
Just keep it covered with an antibiotic ointment.

Toe needs to be 'booted/splinted' pronto.

Both issue could be hatching complications.
Wet look to be covered with dried hatching gunk.
A soft toothbrush, and some gentle 'finger preening' can help get it cleaned off and fluffed up.

@Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock maybe have better suggestions.

Yeah, That toe's definately crooked, probably broken. Do you know what might have caused it? I have one chicken that has crooked toes but a few times a year they'll straighten out for a while so it might not be a really big deal
I'm not sure, I don't know if it was bent yesterday since it mostly laid around and slept. The chick did let me touch its foot and the toe can still bend straight.

That lump looks gnarly...it may heal up OK , or not.
Just keep it covered with an antibiotic ointment.

Toe needs to be 'booted/splinted' pronto.

Both issue could be hatching complications.
Wet look to be covered with dried hatching gunk.
A soft toothbrush, and some gentle 'finger preening' can help get it cleaned off and fluffed up.

@Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock maybe have better suggestions.
I've been putting antibiotics on the chick, and they seem to be doing well with it, being very sweet and climbing into my hand when its time to reapply. I'm going to work on cleaning them off once I find a soft brush. How would you recommend splinting the foot, should I use the tape method?

I think the chick is doing worse, I hope it's just that they're tired, but I doubt it. They're stumbling around with their head falling down and eyes closed. I don't know if they're going to live, the chick had some very sticky poop on their rear that I wiped up and then rubbed olive oil on the vent. I decided since they're probably not going to live, I'm forgoing putting the splint on, so I don't upset them if these are their final hours...

Back
Top Bottom