Chick hatched with yolk

alli590

In the Brooder
Feb 18, 2015
Chich hatched on day 19, she fully out of the shell and she has been just laying there (breathing) for half the day. The yolk sack is still attached as well. She is trying her best and looks like she is doing ok. But what about the yolk?? Will it still suck the yolk in or do I remove it(and how). Yolk is the same as it was hours ago.

Yolk looks like it may have reptured.. Chick is moving and kicking it's leg, seems pretty ok. Also it's on chicken wire and toes got stuck under one of the holes. Should I take it out gently and put it on my brooder with a heating lap or in the brooder box next to a warm heater?

Update. Chick is squirming around wanting to stands. After I wrote all that I checked on the chick and it's forcing the yolk out of it's body.. Like pooping it..

This doesn't sound good they need to absorb the yolk, when they hatched with yolk attached you should place them in a cup that they cant move around to much or get out of. I've never heard of them expelling the yolk, she could be disembowelled fingers crossed she is ok.

This doesn't sound good they need to absorb the yolk, when they hatched with yolk attached you should place them in a cup that they cant move around to much or get out of. I've never heard of them expelling the yolk, she could be disembowelled fingers crossed she is ok.

Moved her to brooder, she absorbed what was left of the yolk. Hasn't stood up at all but she's squirming around and starts peeping when she hears us talking. Hopefully she will make it

Back
Top Bottom