Chick injured her foot

Honeysuckle Hill

Hatching
Jun 15, 2023
My 3-month-old check got tangled in the wire fencing and broke her toes. I splinted them and wrap them and healed the injuries but now two of her toes are turning black. What should I do? She seems healthy, eats, and drinks. She just cannot put weight on her foot fully.

It doesn’t sound like it, but could this possibly be bumblefoot? And can you post pictures?
I will post pictures but, it was an injury not bumblefoot I'm sure she is going to lose two toes, one is her long middle toe. It's stiff and black. She hop/flies to get around. Is she going to be picked on? She is almost ready to be moved in with the flock.

I agree, it may be a sign that the tissue is dead. Splinting can interrupt circulation if the tape or vet wrap slips and gets too tight. I would remove the splint and take some pictures to post. Green bruising is common in injuries, but black sounds like necrosis.
I took a picture but don't know how to post. I took the splint off 3 days ago and just wrapped it overnight. Took bandage off and sprayed it with blue kote. I just checked her and she lost one toe and may lose all of them. She still eats and drinks good and moves around with her hatch mates. But it looks real bad.
I hate to think I caused this by splitting and wrapping. She is so sweet I would hate to see her suffer for my mistake.
I just figured out how to post the picture, her foot is blue in rl but the photo does not show it.
20230617_160413.jpg

Ok now my click is crossing her leg. I'm still thinking it is broken and healing wrong. Should I just leave it alone and hope for the best? Thanks in advance.

Do you have a current picture today? If her toes are dying, she may be trying to walk and there is no feeling, making it awkward. But since she was injured, she might have tendon damage. Is she able to get around well enough to get enough food and water? That is the important thing. Is she confined in a pen or dog crate near food and water? I like to keep mine near other chickens when they are confined.

Back
Top Bottom