Chick Loss

Spires6

Songster
10 Years
Mar 10, 2009
Ohio
Well we got our chicks ON morning and they did great for 2 days. Woke up this morning to one dead in brooder and 2 that obviously appear to be dying. All hens. I have kept chicks for many years and not had this happen. The dying ones have tremors and one is exhibiting strange posturing. (In humans we would recognize that as a sign of neurological damage.) I had them vac'd for Marek's for the first time due to my son planning to show them. I also ordered earlier in the spring and so have kept them in our kitchen. Other than that I haven't cared for them any differently than usual. Temp seems right, brooder has been kept clean, fresh food, chick starter. The others look great. Hope I don't lose any more. Ideas?
hit.gif

I am so sorry they aren't doing so well

Is the kitchen really ventilated? I have heard about cooking and toxic fumes from cookware??

Yes. I took the 2 weak chicks out and put them in their own brooder this morning and dipped their beaks in water every so often. At first they were drinking when I made them but then they just got weaker and weaker and the last time I did it they acted like it was hard to swallow. One actually just died and the other isn't far from death I don't think. I first thought maybe they were dehydrated but the healthy ones don't act like they are too warm or too cool. I called the hatchery and they said it is probably shipping stress and credited me for the three.

Kitchen is well ventilated, large and all electric. I made spaghetti last night which is pretty quick and didn't use no-stickware. I have the ceiling fan going.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom