Chick Malpositioned-PLEASE HELP!!

ChickenLover 22

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 28, 2014
Hello,
We (my family) have a chick that has pipped at the wrong end ( the end opposite the air bubble), and it has been over 12 hours since the chick pipped (we noticed it at 7 am). The chick has been chirping and moving it's beak, which we can see, but it has not made much progress in getting out. We read the BYC article on when to assist, but more advice would be appreciated. The chick bled a small bit earlier, perhaps because it was lightly prodded with a pencil when one of my family member's was trying to remove a small piece of eggshell.
I have read that the chick's pipping at this end of the egg is dangerous, since the chick pips through the blood membrane. (sorry if am wrong on this). Anyway,if anyone has any advice it would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks,
ChickenLover 22
P.s It looks like the chick's membrane is dry, but her blood vessels are still visible. advice is appreciated!

Last edited:
Hi there,
I had to deal with this situation a few days ago. First of all, I would leave it until 24 hours since first pip has passed. The chick has pipped so that means it can breathe and isn't in any immediate danger. In my experience (which isn't very much!) it has taken 24 hours from pip to hatch, before then they just weren't ready. I've assisted with a couple of hatches and in both cases the membranes would bleed a little before the 24 hour mark, but after then it was good to assist.

Hopefully someone will come along with some good experience soon. Can you make a note of when the 24 hour mark has been reached, and just sit tight until then? Have you got the incubator at the correct temp and humidity up (but not too high)?

Thanks a lot for answering. The humidity in the tank is around 80 % and the temp. varies around 100 degrees Fahrenheit right now. So, you really think it would be better to wait until the 24 hr mark? I am worried because the chick's membrane at the pip is dry and the chick has been sticking it's beak out of the egg and moving it's tongue around, almost like it is thirsty. Thanks again for answering. So, it would probably be okay for us to wait until then?

Have you got tweezers handy? You can try opening the hole a little around where it has pipped. There are 2 membranes, one just inside the shell of the egg and the 2nd membrane around the chick. In the 2nd membrane there are blood vessels that need to drain before the chick is ready (the chick is also absorbing the yolk at this stage). Chip away at the hole a little, if you see any sign of blood from the membrane then stop (use a tissue on the bleed and it should settle). This means that the chick is not ready yet, put it back in the incubator for a few hours.
:) good luck! I know it's such a tough call to make, but waiting and taking your time seems to be the way to help these wee ones.

My one that pipped the wrong end took 24 hours before it was ready, it had a go at zipping but was struggling so it was at that stage that I helped it, and it was fine :)

You got some good advice here. In my experience malpositioned chicks can take a bit longer before they are ready to hatch, because they skipped the internal pip (into the air cell) stage, therefor this stage, which can take up to 7 hours, needs to be included in the normal time it takes them to progress from external pip to zipping. 24 hours is a good time frame. Also see here for pics and instructions, should you need to assist: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

Thank you both. We waited until 24 hr + to assist and have slowly chipped away at the shell. The chick is resting right now, and we are unsure of how to further proceed. I do not think we have really messed with the outer membrane even, mostly just the shell. Based on the picture, do you think that you see veins?
Thanks again,
ChickenLover 22

I can't tell from the pics... Look at the article I linked for you above, there are pics showing what the membrane should look like. You can use that for comparison.

We peeled away a little part of the outer membrane and saw that her veins were still visible. She is back in the incuabator now, resting in a wet paper towel. I guess it can sometimes take longer than 24 hr for blood vessels to recede. Thanks again. (sorry about the pics)
P.S The chick keeps opening her beak and sticking her tongue out. Do you have any thoughts as to why she would do that? Looking in her mouth, it almost looked as if she was trying to expel liquid from her mouth, with her tongue. There was like spit in the back of her throat, and her tongue seem to try and move it. I am not conpletely certain though...

It can take up to 30 hours or more for them to complete the process, but she sounds o.k. That spit sounds a bit odd though. Position her so her beak is pointing down and see what she does?

Last edited:
We have slightly adjusted her beak's positioning, and she is not blowing as many bubbes as she was (we prayed for her again) but there is still bubbles. We were wondering if that has to do with her position in the egg, and fluid running down into her mouth?

Once her veins have receded, how do you help her hatch? Should we peel back the innner membrane and let her pop out? We do not know what to do, it almost looks like she still has some veins, but it has been 30 hrs by now. She could die from exhaustion...should we act?
thanks for all the advice.
ChickenLover 22

Back
Top Bottom