Chick mortality rate

I was told to expect a 10% loss in ordered hatchery chicks, but these weren't shipped but picked up at a locat feed store and drive delivered from the farm. I think you could expect to loose more with shipped chicks because it seems to me that it would be more stressful.

After you get them cleaned up,go outside and dig up a ball of grass and dirt and put it in ther booder,this works!I replace it everyday.Someone told me about it and it really works,they peck at the dirt and grass ,something about bacteria in the dirt that they need

We also ordered from a place where I new the chicks would arive within 2 days. Mostly because of what I read about them injesting the yoak giving them enough for 24 to 48 hours.

I've only had a problem one time with chicks pasting up and dying after being shipped. The problem? The brooder was too warm. Make sure the light isn't too close to the chicks and that they have plenty of room to get away. Too cool is better then too warm IMO.

hatcheries will usually replace 5 or more deaths in the first 48 hours. I recieved 27 which took two days to get here and lost 17 of them, they sent 18 as replacements and I only lost 2 of those but they only took a day to get here. I agree that shipping is rough on them.

Just to bring everyone up to date on the final tally, of the seventeen chicks that
arrived, we lost eight. The nine that are left are doing just fine.
Thanks to everyone for their comments!

I had very good luck with my mail order chicks. We ordered 16, they all arrived in good condition. There was one I was concerned about but we got her eating and drinking and she has thrived. Four weeks later, we still have 16 chicks. Ours shipped from Texas to Wisconsin and it was the hottest week of the summer when they arrived. The postmaster commented to me that our chicks arrived in better condition than the last bunch that came through. It all depends, but we got lucky. Hope you don't lose anymore chicks.

when i was younger every year my mother would order 2 times from MM.. a year for many years.. i just got my 2 nd batched of chickens form there and didnt lose one yet.. the heat can kill them you just need to wait to order then before or after the heat wave.. ordering them in hot weather is asking for trouble i think..

plus i just got in from another place who sent them to be 25 Acan's

Last edited:
Last Friday we got our first batch of mail order chicks. Since then we've lost a
few (six, and maybe today one more, out of 17) and we were wondering what
the usual mortality rate for chicks is (if there is one)?
Thank you!
I received 8 chicks last Tuesday in the mail, shipping only took about 24 hours, but by day 2, I only had 3 chicks left:( The remaining 3 will be 1 week old tomorrow and are active and healthy. The company is mailing me replacements for the ones that died, but I am really nervous for them. I hope these ones arrive in good health. I am worried since there will be fewer in the box, so wishing them good luck.

Back
Top Bottom