chick needs help

Oh pictures. Yes I will send them tonight, was to worried and didn’t even think to take pics when she first hatched. Are you talking AVC (apple cider vinegar) LOL? I was thinking it was a supplement of some kind, silly me. What brands are good? How much do I give? I have 3 other chicks and 2 are getting a little pasty butt. I have just been cleaning with warm water and it seems to be getting better.

Oh pictures. Yes I will send them tonight, was to worried and didn’t even think to take pics when she first hatched. Are you talking AVC (apple cider vinegar) LOL? I was thinking it was a supplement of some kind, silly me. What brands are good? How much do I give? I have 3 other chicks and 2 are getting a little pasty butt. I have just been cleaning with warm water and it seems to be getting better.

Yes....apple cider vinegar....I don't think it will matter what brand but if you can get it with the 'mother', that is meant to be better as it contains enzymes and friendly bacteria which are beneficial (it will tell you on the bottle) I have found it clears pasty butt right up....I add about a half teaspoon to a litre of water for mine.

Sorry don't mean to butt in, but Bragg or Heinz make ACV with the mother. The Walmart near me carries both brands. I've heard 1 tablespoon per gallon for ACV/water ratio, but half teaspoon per liter is pretty close to the same.

well the little miss didn’t make it. I woke up this morning to find her passed away.

So last night I came home and she was active but reaching under herself I guess trying to reach the dried up yoke sac and preening herself. I took her out and cleaned her up under there and checked the yoke sac. It was completely dried up but I could see it was still attached and not ready to come off. I added water and food dipping her beak in the water. She seemed fine other then staying in the curled up position. I would lift her head but she wouldn’t keep it up. She would walk around with her head under there reaching until she did a summersult. When she slept she would stand and rest the top of her head on the ground. So sad she seemed to be doing really good but I guess not and she was hiding it well. Ended up with 3 out of 6 chicks all viable at lockdown.

Thanks for the support and info on the ACV. I will keep it handy in case I need it in future.

Attachments

• 993178D9-DA89-4EA5-9557-8F51B9F22F39.jpeg
    993178D9-DA89-4EA5-9557-8F51B9F22F39.jpeg
    288.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 493EF4F4-2A0E-496A-87F5-84350B578628.jpeg
    493EF4F4-2A0E-496A-87F5-84350B578628.jpeg
    259.7 KB · Views: 1
  • A5A3A42B-17F8-449C-AEFB-9BCDAC597BCD.jpeg
    A5A3A42B-17F8-449C-AEFB-9BCDAC597BCD.jpeg
    245.9 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom