Chick noise, when does it stop?

CKfarm22

Crowing
Jul 8, 2021
Central NJ
I’m wondering at what age do chicks stop making the cute little chirps? I have a 10 week old BO that needs to start being integrated with the old girls and i read that if the chick is still making chick noises to not try to integrate them.

They start transitioning in their teens, mixing chick sounds with very weird noises like honks or approximation of adult noises, but won't fully stop with chick noises until they get closer to point of lay.

Chicks can be integrated as chicks, that has nothing to do with integration.
It’s just what i read that she waits until they are either the size of the rest of her chickens or when the chick stops the chick chirping

It’s just what i read that she waits until they are either the size of the rest of her chickens or when the chick stops the chick chirping
Everyone handles integration differently, but I set up for and do early integration. It takes advantage of the fact that hens aren't threatened by small chicks, and small chicks can get away from adults easier than older chicks/teens. My last batch of human-raised chicks had full coop and run access alongside the adults at 2 weeks old.

Everyone handles integration differently, but I set up for and do early integration. It takes advantage of the fact that hens aren't threatened by small chicks, and small chicks can get away from adults easier than older chicks/teens. My last batch of human-raised chicks had full coop and run access alongside the adults at 2 weeks old.
Lucky! I was scared to put small chicks in because this is my first time doing this.. so i’m not really sure what i’m doing

this is my first batch of chicks, fertile eggs placed under a broody as we are not allowed roosters in suburbia. They are now five weeks old. We put them in a run with mum for the first couple of weeks; until mum seemed to be going stir crazy so we left the run door open for them to free range with the other 3 adults, closing them up at night. We are an island state with no foxes.
Now at 5 weeks they are not using the run at all and seem to be handling being with the grownups quite well. As someone said, they are fast. They are getting tapped a bit by the dominant hen but it seems to be more like discipline than harassment.

Lucky! I was scared to put small chicks in because this is my first time doing this.. so i’m not really sure what i’m doing
Yeah I was more cautious the first time I integrated, so the chicks didn't move into the coop and roost until 6 weeks. The second time I was more aggressive and the chicks moved in at 4 weeks 1 day old. In both cases I let the chicks make the decision on when they want to move in with the adults. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/short-on-time-recycle-a-prefab-brooder.73985/

Yeah I was more cautious the first time I integrated, so the chicks didn't move into the coop and roost until 6 weeks. The second time I was more aggressive and the chicks moved in at 4 weeks 1 day old. In both cases I let the chicks make the decision on when they want to move in with the adults. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/short-on-time-recycle-a-prefab-brooder.73985/
Mine has been a see no touch since 4 weeks old and i’ve put in the run with the older chickens and they still peck at her which i know is normal. but she won’t follow them into the coop at night

Back
Top Bottom