Chick not thriving...

wingedpanda

Hatching
8 Years
Feb 20, 2011
Ive got a 2-3 day old barred rock chick that is not doing well. Lethargic, a little uncoordinated, peeps constantly.
sad.png
Baby is not eating - drinking, but not eating. Poops normally. It is smaller than the others, so I have her separated in the brooder so she doesn't get trampled.

I've been hand-feeding it a mix of egg yolk and sugar water in a syringe - tried to hand feed it some crumbles soaked into a mush, but baby was not interested. Not sure whether I should continue feeding it the way I am, or just let it go??
sad.png
I know a lot of these just don't make it, but any advice would be appreciated.

If I should keep feeding her, how often and how much?

hugs.gif
Sorry I don't know how to answer this for you. Hopefully someone else can. I can only say that sometimes chicks don't make it.
hit.gif

This is probably not a good time but
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Thanks - I've been lurking here for a while, but as these are my first chicks and I just got them, I didn't have a reason to post yet...

Poor baby chick, I feel bad.

I cannot tell you what to do with the chick but a well known old time breeder/geneticist/poultryman told me once "cull all sneezers snifflers and coughers" it sounds cruel but in the long run you will have healthier stock.

Back
Top Bottom