Chick pecked to skull

Unfortunately I agree. I've had some pretty dang severe scalpings (one self inflicted, several from quail and a few from hens deciding they didn't like chicks they were around prior to) but never as bad as this. It looks like the brain is exposed. Was this a crested breed?
Unfortunately I agree. I've had some pretty dang severe scalpings (one self inflicted, several from quail and a few from hens deciding they didn't like chicks they were around prior to) but never as bad as this. It looks like the brain is exposed. Was this a crested breed?
No, she’s just a normal barred rock.
I’m not sure if it’s the brain or just muscle and stuff? I should’ve gotten a better picture, but i didn’t want to mess with her to much. The picture is more the back of her head, on the top you can very obviously see the skull.
She’s drinking water from a syringe and will move around (not walking just kinda… trying to move? I guess?) and she seems to be alert to sounds and stuff but I’m just not sure what to do. I want her to pull through, and maybe she can, but if she can’t I don’t want her to go through this. I don’t think I can physically do the culling if we needed to, I’d have to have my dad do it but I’m not sure he wants to because she was his favorite. I know it’s selfish to think like that but it is really hard, she’s just a baby :(

If you have electrolytes, warm electrolyte water, or Gatorade will help cure shock.
I’ve been giving her “Rooster Booster” which I stand by. We had a chick a few years ago who was super lethargic and sleepy when she was younger. We put rooster booster in the water and in a few days she was just as active as the other chicks.

I’ve been giving her “Rooster Booster” which I stand by. We had a chick a few years ago who was super lethargic and sleepy when she was younger. We put rooster booster in the water and in a few days she was just as active as the other chicks.
That's best for deficiencies, or just nutritional supplementation, & or stress reliever, or Energy Booster.

Shock is different.

Can you get a view from the side of her head, for another angle?

Scalpings are very common, & aren't hard to treat, & heal fairly quickly.
image.jpg

I hope this is a bit better- I’m trying not to bother her so much by turning her head

I’m not sure if it’s the brain or just muscle and stuff? I should’ve gotten a better picture, but i didn’t want to mess with her to much. The picture is more the back of her head, on the top you can very obviously see the skull.
She’s drinking water from a syringe and will move around (not walking just kinda… trying to move? I guess?) and she seems to be alert to sounds and stuff but I’m just not sure what to do. I want her to pull through, and maybe she can, but if she can’t I don’t want her to go through this. I don’t think I can physically do the culling if we needed to, I’d have to have my dad do it but I’m not sure he wants to because she was his favorite. I know it’s selfish to think like that but it is really hard, she’s just a baby :(
I personally would give it some time. As @MysteryChicken said, scalping aren't hard to treat and heal fairly quickly. If she's trying to move and peeping then that's a good sign.

If the skull is intact, then her odds are much better. Still not guaranteed, but much better than if her brain is exposed. I know that I would try to help them, but at the same time you have to take care to not drag it out longer because of yourself.

The reason I asked if she was crested was because those often are the victim of scalping, and some have skulls that aren't fully closed, making access to the brain easier for pecking.

Back
Top Bottom