chick poop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Momto3, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Momto3

Momto3 Chirping

Mar 1, 2011
    Northern Idaho
    Ok so I have a really weird gross question. I got 6 chicks yesterday. Most of their poops look normal, but there are a few that have me worried. 2-3 of them have I would say tan/orange poop, but 1 is tan/orange but foamy. What shall I do? Should I worry? Please tell me it isnt anything to worry about that they just need time to adjust. They are on chick starter that is medicated & filtered water. I try to keep their water free from poop, but that is a chore. [​IMG]

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

3. Momto3

Momto3 Chirping

Mar 1, 2011
    Northern Idaho
    Thank you, I just did a big search for chick poop and I came across that site. It looks like the Ceacel poop, but it seems to be every poop not just every 8-10. They are all eating, drinking, sleeping & running around, so I will just keep my eye on them. Thanks. [​IMG]

4. Imp

I just did a quick search of chickens diseases, and found nothing conclusive. Maybe try giving them some probiotics and/or yogurt.

Good luck
    Imp

5. Momto3

Momto3 Chirping

Mar 1, 2011
    Northern Idaho
    What kind of yogurt is the best? All I have right now is yoplait vanilla or other flavors. Or do I need to get plain?

6. Imp

Quote:Plain, no sugar, no flavors. I don't think it would hurt them, but just not that healthy. I think that since chicks will eat so little I'd go for the kind that has the probiotics in them. I can't remember the brands off hand.

Imp

7. Momto3

Momto3 Chirping

Mar 1, 2011
    Northern Idaho
    Yoplait has the live cultures in it. But it does have sugar, well all yogurt does, but probably more then the one you are talking about.

8. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I call those tapioca pudding poos... Personally, as long as there are solidish poos among the pudding/foamy poos, I don't worry too much about them. [​IMG]

9. 14chickmama

14chickmama Chirping

Jan 6, 2011
    Thanks for posting this!! [​IMG] I'm having the same problem with my chicks. They're 2 weeks old. Thanks again. I'm thinking they'll be ok!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: