Chick Poopies - Is this normal??

Picky Chicky

Songster
11 Years
Sep 22, 2008
Holly Grove, VA
I'm almost certain this has been asked before but I can't find anything offhand...

My 5 week old chicks are pooing yellow runny stuff. I rarely see a solid poo like my bigger hens. This is my first go at chicks so I don't know if this is normal or not.

They're getting clean water. Nobody looks or is acting sick. They're eating like champs. I just can't figure why they're poo'ing yellow liquid.
sickbyc.gif

Thanks so much for any help!!

I was trying to find the Poop thread for you and cannot for the life of my locate it!!! Anyhoo. My chicks poop is not very solid either. Though the poop that comes out is different every time.

Are you feeding medicated feed? I noticed that some of my chicks had more cecal poo and more occurances of runny poo on the medicated feed than the non-medicated. Also, is this a new symptom, or has it always been thus? If you are feeding medicated feed, get the non-medicated chick starter for your next bag and see if that helps or changes anything. I know it did with my chicks.

Last edited:
Quote:
Ah ha! Maybe that's it. I'm feeding them a medicated chick feed (bad idea huh?) It's definitely the cecal runny yellow poo, but it feels like it's happening more times than not.

Not a new symptom - it's been this way since I got them about 10 days ago. They've devoured the med. chick starter, so I'll aim for the non-medicated starter for the next bag.

Thanks so much!! I was starting to feel like a bad chick momma.

No worries. I always start them out on the med. starter for the first bag. It isn't really harming them I don't think. I would suspect they are just utilizing most of the nutrients and what is left isn't much, or enough to make really firm poos. But when I made the switch to non-med. it seemed to clear up a short time thereafter. I, personally, feel that starting on the medicated feed helps in preventing possible disease or sickness when the chicks first arrive. Then, after that first bag their immunities are built up a little more and then switching to the non-med. is a little better. That is just what I do for my chicks on my place. Everyone does it different. But it would be worth a shot I'm thinking.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom