CHICK SEASON HAS COME!!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickencrazy429, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Small flock

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Big flock

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. It doesn't matter to me

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  1. Well.... we all know what season is sneaking up on us!!! Chick season!!!
    Recently my local feed store just sent me a chick order form.... OH MY GOODNESS. Now I have chick-fever!!! Currently I have 7 chickens, When I got my four last spring I told myself that that will be enough for a bit (a lie every chicken owner tells themselves, right?) WELL my local feed store is selling some NICE breeds... Welsummer, Buckeye, Lakenvelder.... I really want to get them, but it was SUCH a pain to integrate... My Dad and I are currently building a coop for 7 chickens... AND I don't want my flock to turn into a huge one because I kind of like a smaller flock. :) SO I need your opinion! I don't know how many you all have, but if you have like 10+ chickens do you think that it's not as fun as it was with a smaller flock? Like is it not quite as 'personal' and what did you do for integration??? Thanks so very much!!! --chickencrazy429

2. City Chicken

City Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2012
    When my chicks are feathering out i put them in a large dog cage with the others. They are protected that way, but with everyone else. At night they sleep separately. After a few days of this the integration is no big deal and goes smoothly. They are still at bottom on pecking order, but not seen as foreign.
    I have about 20 and i love the quantitu, it means that i will have lots of eggs, enough to sell and be able to pay for the feed. I also hatch myself, so my chick fever comes from hatching my own. :)

3. ChickenCurt

ChickenCurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2014
    I have nearly 300 total of which 9 are turkeys, 7 are guineas, 2 are geese and 2 are wild ducks that summer here. Early march we're ordering meat birds for our customers and then turkeys and meat birds later when available. If you have the space a large flock can be fun and profitable.

4. Well, I asked my Dad and he said no, but he did like the Golden Lakenvelder, (which I liked too) so we will see about it...

5. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    My current flock started out as 10 crappy mutant mutts. They were a cross between bantams, games, and regular chickens. They are 3 time rejects, i.e. a friend gave his rejects to another friend, who picked out the best ones and gave his rejects to me. I culled the 10 down to 5, bred those 5 up to 80, culled them down to 20 and now I got a few halfway decent chickens that lay a few halfway decent eggs.
    I'll have another agressive hatching & hatchet program this season and end up with about 30 or 40 hens that look like Buffs and RIRs that lay large/jumbo eggs, instead of the crappy gamey bantam looking things that look like a starved buzzard when I go to eat them and lay crappy peewee-medium eggs.
    Nice thing about my flock, I've eaten dozens & dozens of eggs, gave away dozens & dozens more and eaten dozens & dozens of chicken dinners and it didn't cost me a single red cent! Other than about a ton of chicken feed lol.
    I don't know if 30-40 chickens is a large flock but all my life I always had only about a dozen chickens at any given time. Now that I have plenty of time, whether it's 10 or 80 it's all the same to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by