CHICK SEX HELP!!! Barred Rock

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dizzle's chicks, Jul 6, 2011.

1. dizzle's chicks

dizzle's chicks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    I need some help in determining if its a hen or a rooster? She was born on June 1st. My other chicks born on the same day doesn't have a comb like that. Any info would be greatly appreciated. If it's a rooster than I will have to return it to the farm and get another one. I hope it's not because she is a sweet heart.

[​IMG]

2. KDailey

KDailey Crazy Cochin Lady

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    I'm no expert but that does look pretty suspicious, especially if all the others don't have a comb like that

3. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

If it is true BR then it is a girl, the reason I can tell is the dark blackish shading on the front of it's legs. If it were male the legs wouldn't have that and the feathers wouldn't be as dark, still look black &white just more greyish.

4. wowmanacat

wowmanacat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Oak Grove AR
    I have BR mutts and I have been told that the one that get the red combs first are Roosters. If that is so I got to many of htem

It looks like a roo to me.

5. RachaelS

RachaelS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Can't help but that pic is toooooooo cute!

6. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    is that a recent pic? if it is, i say roo [​IMG] still got some baby fuzz there, pullets don't usually have that much by 5-6 weeks. also, the coloring is hard to see, but i think that's boy coloring can we have a recent picture that's a side view please?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  7. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Girl

8. wowmanacat

wowmanacat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Oak Grove AR
    I am following this for all my barred Rock The roosters start to get red at about 3 to 4 weeks and the pullets stay orange. I have 5 right now that are 10 weeks old on Saturday and they are all very red in the comb and wattles, and I have been told they are all roosters.

9. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    Trade you for a little Sussex roo who's a poop [​IMG]

10. dizzle's chicks

dizzle's chicks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    Here is a side pic I took tonight. I've been researching on online and noticed some of the hens also have a bigger comb but I will leave it up to the BYC family to decide.

[​IMG]

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by