CHICK SEX HELP!!! Barred Rock

dizzle's chicks

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 16, 2011
I need some help in determining if its a hen or a rooster? She was born on June 1st. My other chicks born on the same day doesn't have a comb like that. Any info would be greatly appreciated. If it's a rooster than I will have to return it to the farm and get another one. I hope it's not because she is a sweet heart.

96345_sleeping_beauty.jpg

If it is true BR then it is a girl, the reason I can tell is the dark blackish shading on the front of it's legs. If it were male the legs wouldn't have that and the feathers wouldn't be as dark, still look black &white just more greyish.

I have BR mutts and I have been told that the one that get the red combs first are Roosters. If that is so I got to many of htem

It looks like a roo to me.

is that a recent pic? if it is, i say roo
hmm.png
still got some baby fuzz there, pullets don't usually have that much by 5-6 weeks. also, the coloring is hard to see, but i think that's boy coloring can we have a recent picture that's a side view please?

Last edited:
I am following this for all my barred Rock The roosters start to get red at about 3 to 4 weeks and the pullets stay orange. I have 5 right now that are 10 weeks old on Saturday and they are all very red in the comb and wattles, and I have been told they are all roosters.

Here is a side pic I took tonight. I've been researching on online and noticed some of the hens also have a bigger comb but I will leave it up to the BYC family to decide.

96345_br.jpg

Quote:

Back
Top Bottom