Chick Shakes Head While Eating

thecatumbrella

Furiously Foraging
Premium Feather Member
Mar 31, 2023
New Hampshire
Good morning!

This is somewhat of an odd question. Has anyone else had a chick that shakes its head like a dog with a steak, but only while eating?? I wouldn’t think much of it, except she doesn’t seem to be getting as much food down as the others… it all flies off! She’s still pooping fine, so some food must find its way in.

Maybe I’m overthinking this 😅

Thanks for your help, as always!

The crumble does seem a little big. We do a few hand feeding sessions where we crush it up, but she still does the shake. Do people run their chick starter through the blender?
I have run mine through the blender to make it easier for some of my babies. and as another has suggested maybe some dust is getting in the babies nose?

That’s a good thought. The food is the dustiest part of brooding so far! The pieces are either huge, or literal powder.
You can make a mash, add some sort and give it a quick zap in the microwave to warm it a bit, it helps them digest it better and it's less messy. You want it about the same consistency as thick oatmeal

You can make a mash, add some sort and give it a quick zap in the microwave to warm it a bit, it helps them digest it better and it's less messy. You want it about the same consistency as thick oatmeal
So I’ve tried to make a mash twice, and they act like I’m serving them their own feces 😒 I’m going to try your microwave trick to warm it a bit.

UPDATE: I ran the crumble through the blender, making something more like coarse sand. They are gobbling it up, Mushroom (the head shaker) included. Much less drama and frenzy at the feeder as well. I'm worried they've been underfed for the week ☹️

I'll try the wet mash later and sprinkle some dry mash on top to entice them. Why would they make the crumble so large??! I don't even have bantams, and they all struggled to eat it.

Back
Top Bottom