Chick shaking, can't lift head, breathing heavy

my3jsons

Songster
9 Years
Feb 15, 2010
Oklahoma
Last night we found one of our 4 week old chicks acting funny. It couldn't stand up straight and was curled up in a ball with it's head twisted in a very odd position. We brought it inside and fed it sugar water and yogurt. It began doing better so we kept it in the house seperated from the other 21 chicks we have. This morning he seemed to be doing better (still not able to stand up straight like the others but eating, drinking & pooping) and we decided to put him back in the brooder. Today we watched him and he did ok until a few minutes ago. I went out to check on him and he was curled up in a ball and the other chicks were running all over him. I brought him inside and he continues to act strange. Just now he stood up and flew about 2 feet, stopped-paused and curled up in a ball again and began to shake his head violently. It's almost as if he has something wrong with his nervous system. Sometimes when he's curled up he begins to push backwards. Below are a few pics...

Here he is a few days ago, doing fine looking like a normal chick...
49043_img_2757.jpg

Here he is a few minutes ago in the odd position with his head curled up...
49043_img_2792.jpg

Here he is standing as straight as he could, but notice his head is still in the downward position
49043_img_2791.jpg

Could that be wry neck? Try vitamins (I believe it is D, E, Selinium, and B). I don't have time to check right now, but you could go up to the search button (top right on your screen) and type in "wry neck."

I'll search the "wry neck" right away. Doesn't appear to be anything wrong with his neck but when he goes into that fetal position his neck turns almost 360 degrees. Thanks for you concern!

OMG!!! My Barred Rock about the same age as yours just started doing this and that is why I am on here searching for answers!! She looks JUST like the picture! She was perfectly fine, rambunctious actually, an hour ago and now curled up the exact same way!! I was terrified of Marek's. I have her separated, have no way to get vitamins until morning...what to do?

Just an update on this little guy.
sad.png
He was suffering terribly and we decided to put him down late last week.
sad.png
I agonized over it but felt it was the right thing to do. I was sure we would lose some chicks but didn't think about the fact that I might have to kill one. Meat birds are out of the question now. Thank you to the ones that sent me information. Everyone else is doing great and outgrowing their brooder.

i know this is late but it kind of looks to me like a seizure i suffer from them terribly and they are awful

Back
Top Bottom