Chick size?

ShrekDawg

You are loved.
Premium Feather Member
16 Years
Jan 18, 2008
SE Massachusetts
Okay maybe it's just me and/or maybe it's just because I'm looking in from over a fence gate but we went to TSC yesterday and the chicks seemed TINY? Like i know mine are 20 weeks old now so it could be that I don't remember chick size but that's the thing... mine seemed so much bigger even as day olds. I ordered mine from Meyer Hatchery and they hatched October 26th 2015 and literally arrived next day so only a day old I guess and they seemed like tiny little fuzz balls at the time but these guys seem like half the size! Even the Jersey Giants looked really small to me!! Am i going crazy orrrrr?????? They have 6 metal feed/stock waterer container things theyre in in a fenced area and do at ours too so must be the standard there and one was bantams (empty), one was Rhode Island Red, one was Jersey Giants, and the other 3 were all "pullets", all of them were red. But I don't know, they just seme like such tiny little nuggets. But of course they have them crammed like sardines under a heat lamp and competing for food but still. They just seme really small

Last edited:
They are probably just really young (think about how the chicks once fit in an egg). These chicks grow incredibly fast.

They are probably just really young (think about how the chicks once fit in an egg). These chicks grow incredibly fast. 

That's very true, i hadn't thought about how they once fit in an egg. Maybe they just haven't fully fluffed out yet? But if theyre in the store Id think they'd have at least been there a few days and be bigger. But maybe they're new arrivals. They just seem so small but its possible mine were that small too and I don't remember. Either way they're very cute

I just got my first bantam chicks...talk about small! I feel like I'm going to crush them in my huge human paws...

Bantams are definitely so teeny! I want some though eventually hah

Remember at day one they emerged from an egg, and they were only occupying only about 2/3 - 3/4 of the egg at that time...

As they fluff and/or feather out it can be quite deceptive and give the impression they are much bigger...

That's true!! Although the ones in store appeared fully dry? And they still seemed smaller than mine but i could be because I wasn't holding them or up as close with mine.

Although is it possible the parents are smaller or they came from a smaller egg? Or would they still be the same size at hatch?

I guess mine must have been really small too and i just don't remember hahah

Back
Top Bottom