Chick starter vs. Layena--How important?

The Fairy Godmartyr

Songster
9 Years
Aug 7, 2010
I have 13 chickens that are 18 weeks old. One of them started laying eggs this week, but the others still aren't. Should I switch everyone over to Layena? Will it really matter if the one that is laying continues to eat the chick starter for a couple more weeks? At this point, I still have about 30 lbs of chick starter, so I'd rather just let them eat that (probably will only take about 2 weeks) then just switch them all over to Layena, but I didn't know how much of a difference it would really make. Advice?

welcome-byc.gif

If I were you, I'd go ahead and let them finish up the starter. Perhaps offer some oyster shell on the side for the pullet that is now laying.

I completely agree with gritsar. I hate seeing feed go to waste. And offering oyster shell as a free-fed option will let her (your layer) self-regulate until you cut them all over.

When I get the first eggs I start moving them over to layer (when I use it). Go ahead and use up the rest of your starter but start blending in a little Layena until the starter is all gone.

Quote:
Yup--you're better off letting those few that are laying get what calcium the need from free choice oyster shell than forcing extra calcium on nonlayers. If they all are laying and you still have starter, mix it in with the layer until it is gone.

Back
Top Bottom