Chick stuck while hatching

jaymelee

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2021
Help needed!
I have a chick that started hatching yesterday, April 10, around 0900 (the initial pip), it started to zip in the evening, now it is the morning of April 11 and no progress. It appears the membrane is drying out, making is more difficult for the chick to emerge. Should I intervene?! It’s been over 12 hours since the zipping started. I can still see it breathing in the shell.
Pic for reference.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 49
Yes, you need to intervene. Get some very warm water in a cup, and dip a paper towel in the warm water. As you peel the shell away, moisten the membrane with the wet paper towel. Be careful to keep the wet paper towel away from the nostrils.
Thank you. The chick is still trying and peeping so I hope these are good signs! When you do this do you just remove the egg from the incubator and work at it at room temp?

You might want to leave the bottom half of the shell on in case the yolk is still absorbing, and when the chick is ready it should be able to kick itself out.

Sometimes, though I've had chicks too weak to even do that. If the chick is left in the shell too long, it keeps growing and the legs end up deformed. I've had that happen, even a day late makes a difference!

It's tricky to know exactly when to help. I've had times when I've helped, but shouldn't have, and more often didn't assist when when I should have.

Update! I followed all the suggestions. Removed the egg from the incubator. Removed the shell around in a circle (didn’t see any veins). I didn't remove/touch the membrane. I wetted the membrane as I went. It didn’t look particularly dry but I think the shell was hard. Even before I had the chick back in the incubator it was pushing out. It is just laying in the incubator now.
Thank you to everyone for your suggestions!
It was nerve wracking!

Attachments

• 39F2A309-F9FB-491F-BD40-A7B462CD2763.jpeg
    39F2A309-F9FB-491F-BD40-A7B462CD2763.jpeg
    292.5 KB · Views: 35

Back
Top Bottom