Chick that freaks out when sleeping?

Pogo

In the Brooder
May 11, 2022
Hello BYC! Recently I was given a little bantam welsummer chick, everything seems pretty good but as soon as she falls asleep she freaks out and starts crying/flapping about, sometimes ending up upside down. But when she wakes up everything’s fine and she eats, drinks and walks around normal. I’ve never seen this before so I figured I should come here before doing any google searches.

Do you have a video of this happening? The only thing I can come up with is seizures, which can be caused by many different things. It could be something simple, or something serious. It's hard to "diagnose" in this kind of situation when it could be a bunch of different things. What is the brooder temp, what food is she being fed, is her water cold, what kind of bedding is being used for her, are there other chicks around, and what's the environment like for this chick? ( ex: is t loud, quiet, dark, etc... )
CLICK ME

I’m sure I can take one for you, the brooder is around 85-90, she’s probably only a few days old, water is fresh and cold, I added a bit of sav-a-chick to it, the food is Dumor starter grower, I use the chunky pine shavings, and there’s no other chicks, there was one but she passed, and the environment is quiet, I have aquariums but they aren’t too loud.

That's definitely not normal. Is it only when she is laying own?
Yes, only when she tries to sleep it happens, even if I was holding her, she’s never done it awake or standing. And this just started today, and she’s three days old now I think.

Back
Top Bottom