chick treats

I'd like to see the answers to this myself! I'm new to this.
But, I do know that hard-boiled eggs chopped/smushed up fine is good for chicks, even very young chicks. Some people give chick feed mixed with warm water as a treat, but probably not this time of year.
smile.png
Also, plain yogurt, but I think I have read both positive and negative comments about this.

Let's see what others have to say!
pop.gif

I don't give any treats to 4 day old chicks, unless it's yogurt or boiled/scrambled eggs, especially since they are in a brooder with no access to grit, sand or rocks. If they look at the food and get scared, try mixing it in with their feed. I would wait until they are older, at least a few weeks old, to start giving treats so that they are outside (hopefully) and able to get grit.

You can start by sprinkling about a tablespoon of fine grit on top of their feed. Not too much as you don't want them filling up their teeny little crops with just grit. After a few days of that I finely (I use a scissors) cut up some grass, or alfalfa, or even weeds. I use whatever I have on hand. At first they may run from it as if it's the scariest monster ever, but soon natural curiosity will kick in. Once they start eating it though you have created a MONSTER.
droolin.gif
They will beg for more. And the treat begging can only get worse. Any time someone pulls up onto our property our chickens will run to greet them. Once in a while they will ignore me when I have something for them. All I have to do is hollar FOOD FOOD FOOD and soon there will be feather topedos heading strait for me. My old neigher thinks it's just a riot to come visit my chickens. He gets a better reception from them than from anyone else. The most important thing with the little ones and even the big ones is that treats should be just that. Just make sure they get plenty of chick starter as that should be their primary diet. Of course they will try to plead otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom