Chick waterers totally frozen solid!

The Wild Hen

In the Brooder
Feb 11, 2020
Hi there! Yesterday my two broody hens hatched their chicks! It was -10 degrees outside here in Iowa and I didn’t have very high hopes, but sure enough Mother Nature took care of the situation. So now we have two sectioned off “maternity wards” in the coop with separate chick feeders and chick waterers. I’m not using lamps because, well, the hen is the lamp but my little waterers were frozen solid this morning. I keep a large heated water for the rest of my flock but what about these new little ones?!?! Any ideas? The waterers have to be small so they don’t drown yet it freezes so quick. We’ve got a lot of winter left here in Iowa. I have no idea why they thought this was a good time to go broody but here we are! TIA

Attachments

• 9F9E7D94-9620-4B16-A2AA-1E1C7892ECBB.jpeg
    9F9E7D94-9620-4B16-A2AA-1E1C7892ECBB.jpeg
    392.8 KB · Views: 13
  • DB9BEEAF-F2DB-4B5F-8E1F-641DB93FE071.jpeg
    DB9BEEAF-F2DB-4B5F-8E1F-641DB93FE071.jpeg
    383.4 KB · Views: 7
Not much help here but what about a heating pad under the waterer?
Or use your heated waterer for the maternity ward put some of those pebbles they sell at WM or a craft store in the base. I've done that with those tiny qt size chick waterers when raising Seramas for a friend. Just a thought ...

Hi there! Yesterday my two broody hens hatched their chicks! It was -10 degrees outside here in Iowa and I didn’t have very high hopes, but sure enough Mother Nature took care of the situation. So now we have two sectioned off “maternity wards” in the coop with separate chick feeders and chick waterers. I’m not using lamps because, well, the hen is the lamp but my little waterers were frozen solid this morning. I keep a large heated water for the rest of my flock but what about these new little ones?!?! Any ideas? The waterers have to be small so they don’t drown yet it freezes so quick. We’ve got a lot of winter left here in Iowa. I have no idea why they thought this was a good time to go broody but here we are! TIA

I would move the waterer a little further from momma hen, and put a heat lamp over the water. It doesn’t have to be too close, just enough to keep the water and surrounding ground above freezing temps.

is it -10 in the maternity ward? I would try to keep it warmer, so that the chicks can emerge out from under momma for a few minutes at a time without getting too cold.

Not much help here but what about a heating pad under the waterer?
Or use your heated waterer for the maternity ward put some of those pebbles they sell at WM or a craft store in the base. I've done that with those tiny qt size chick waterers when raising Seramas for a friend. Just a thought ...
Thank you! I forgot about the rocks idea!!

This is a big reason why I don't let broodies hatch in the winter. You can either put heat over the waterer, or bring mom and babies inside. I ended up bringing everyone inside last winter and since then I swore I'd never do another winter broody hatch. Good luck!

Also from some past experiences, if a broody is on a nest during the winter months, I take her off when I collect the eggs in the evening. Some may get pissed, but I take them off. It may take awhile but eventually they get the message. Luckily we don't have the weather you are having. We get infrequent serious freezes, but in the colder weather has it's challenges. Good luck and please give us updates. Very interesting, have fun...

This is a big reason why I don't let broodies hatch in the winter. You can either put heat over the waterer, or bring mom and babies inside. I ended up bringing everyone inside last winter and since then I swore I'd never do another winter broody hatch. Good luck!
I tried to break them for almost two months and finally gave in to Mother Nature. Not a preferred method for sure.

Also from some past experiences, if a broody is on a nest during the winter months, I take her off when I collect the eggs in the evening. Some may get pissed, but I take them off. It may take awhile but eventually they get the message. Luckily we don't have the weather you are having. We get infrequent serious freezes, but in the colder weather has it's challenges. Good luck and please give us updates. Very interesting, have fun...
Thanks. I tried breaking them for almost two months. Removing them multiple times a day from the nest, then put them on the roost, turn the lights off and run. I bet they thought what a real nut job lol nothing I tried worked. Alas.......here we are.

Back
Top Bottom