Chick will not put foot down, I've tried boots and band aids - PICS

aceriderbetty

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 4, 2009
Mississippi
I received an assortment of Bantams from Ideal Friday. I have one little chick that is holding it's foot up and will not put any weight on it. I tried putting little band aid boot on it and he still wouldn't put any weight on it. I tried putting the band aid on both legs like you do for splayed legs and he keep falling down. He is having trouble eating because of this so I have been giving him Karo syrup to keep his strength up. I'm keeping him with just one other little chick, because the others are wanting to peck at his foot. What else can I try to help him? Here are a couple of pics to show how he is holding his foot.

27043_img_1775.jpg

27043_img_1782.jpg

I would tape/bandaid a penny or if he is super tiny a dime to the bottom of his foot. And dont get discouraged and take it off if he dosnt walk in it right away, its going to take him a bit to adjust. Just make sure he can get to food and water.

Quote:
Good idea. Also, try mixing some chick feed with a little water and make a paste, then try hand feeding her. This is better than the karo syrup and much healthier. I have used this before with sick chicks and they seem to like it. I'm sorry I have no suggestions for the foot
sad.png

But try that with the food and she may heal, they grow so fast at that age that sometimes whatever is wrong heals. Can you see any difference between the feet, maybe to identify what is wrong?

Quote:
Good idea. Also, try mixing some chick feed with a little water and make a paste, then try hand feeding her. This is better than the karo syrup and much healthier. I have used this before with sick chicks and they seem to like it. I'm sorry I have no suggestions for the foot
sad.png

But try that with the food and she may heal, they grow so fast at that age that sometimes whatever is wrong heals. Can you see any difference between the feet, maybe to identify what is wrong?

Both feet basically look the same.

Back
Top Bottom