Chick with bulge to side of keel with trouble breathing

Corobinsons

In the Brooder
Mar 30, 2020
Boulder, Colorado

Hi Everyone, it's been awhile since I've posted on here. I have a week old Americana that has been doing fine until this morning. She has a bulge to the right of her keel and is standing with tail down and is clearly uncomfortable. Please see the video. Does anyone have any advise as to what this may be and what I can do for her? Thank you very much!!

Crop is full, might be having trouble adjusting it.
It should pass.
What all and how exactly are you feeding?
Is it drinking and pooping?

Crop is full, might be having trouble adjusting it.
It should pass.
What all and how exactly are you feeding?
Is it drinking and pooping?
Thank you very much for responding! I am feeding medicated chick starter crumble - free choice in a feeder with small holes for their heads. I have seen her poop, but not drink recently. she seems very uncomfortable.

The bulge appears to be a full, hard crop. Crop issues in chickens can mimic respiratory difficulties.

What has the chick been eating? Any chance a toddler in your household has slipped the chick some sort of "delicacy"? Has the water been allowed to run out?

If you have coconut oil, divide a teaspoon of it into tiny pea size pieces and chill until hard. Then slip them one by one into the chick's beak. Wait a couple minutes, then very gently massage the crop to get the clog to soften.

Check also for pasty butt. When the vent clogs, a plug forms and then the crop can back up and form a clog. Be sure this chick is drinking.

The bulge appears to be a full, hard crop. Crop issues in chickens can mimic respiratory difficulties.

What has the chick been eating? Any chance a toddler in your household has slipped the chick some sort of "delicacy"? Has the water been allowed to run out?

If you have coconut oil, divide a teaspoon of it into tiny pea size pieces and chill until hard. Then slip them one by one into the chick's beak. Wait a couple minutes, then very gently massage the crop to get the clog to soften.

Check also for pasty butt. When the vent clogs, a plug forms and then the crop can back up and form a clog. Be sure this chick is drinking.
Thank you for your reply. I have any toddlers, but I am using large flake shavings. Any chance they would gobble them up, so far, I have only see them pecking at them. Her vent appears clear and she is pooping.

approximately how many pieces of the coconut oil should I administer? If she is not drinking, what is the best way to aid her to do so?

Chicks do eat wood shavings from time to time. But it's not usually a huge issue. Measure out one teaspoon of the oil, then divide it into pea size pieces and freeze or chill. If you don't have coconut oil, chill a teaspoon of olive oil in the same manner. This is to avoid getting liquid oil all over the chick and yourself and to keep the chick from breathing in any liquid oil. Feed all the oil to the chick.

Do this now. Waiting can cause the chick to become worse. To encourage it to drink water, dip its beak in the water. If it still shuns the water put sugar in it. Chicks fall for sweet things and ths may generate interest in drinking.

Chicks do eat wood shavings from time to time. But it's not usually a huge issue. Measure out one teaspoon of the oil, then divide it into pea size pieces and freeze or chill. If you don't have coconut oil, chill a teaspoon of olive oil in the same manner. This is to avoid getting liquid oil all over the chick and yourself and to keep the chick from breathing in any liquid oil. Feed all the oil to the chick.

Do this now. Waiting can cause the chick to become worse. To encourage it to drink water, dip its beak in the water. If it still shuns the water put sugar in it. Chicks fall for sweet things and ths may generate interest in drinking.
Thank you. I have pea sized pieces of coconut oil chilling now. I made up some sugar water and dipped her beak in. She wasn't interested, however, she is still eating on occasion. Is this going to create more back up?

She will eat when the clog in the crop moves out. A chicken isn't usually interested in eating when their crop is full, just as you aren't interested in a meal right after you've filled your stomach with

Back
Top Bottom