Chick with bulging eye-

Eckielady

Songster
Feb 12, 2017
East Tennessee
I’m not sure how to help this little guy. I think maybe he got pecked and it’s getting worse. Any fixing this or do we need to cull him? I know he’s hurting.
23E6EA25-9E27-483D-AFD7-7D91E9C3BBDE.jpeg
69DDCBA6-7780-4B9C-8173-A37F70E37D14.jpeg

Your baby boy has a serious eye infection. Yes, it hurts. You can see the pus, which is waxy and firm in chickens, starting to crowd around the eye.

You can take him to an avian vet to be treated or try to treat him yourself. First, you will need to express the pus from around his eye. Watch the video I've posted where a vet is treating a chicken with an infected eye. Then you will need to get some terramycin ointment and use it every day until the eye returns to normal.

So we tried to clean it out and got some dried puss but the eye is really hard and doesn’t seem to be moving at all. I seriously felt like we’d pop the eye out if we tried. Tractor supply was out of Terramyacin but we’re trying a different one in the morning.

Not sure what to do now.

And let me tell you, eyes are the only thing that make me squeamish. Oh my gosh!!

Your baby boy has a serious eye infection. Yes, it hurts. You can see the pus, which is waxy and firm in chickens, starting to crowd around the eye.

You can take him to an avian vet to be treated or try to treat him yourself. First, you will need to express the pus from around his eye. Watch the video I've posted where a vet is treating a chicken with an infected eye. Then you will need to get some terramycin ointment and use it every day until the eye returns to normal.

I had a silkie do this a few years ago, the eye eventually deteriorated and it came out while cleaning the infection one day. Cleaned the eye socket well and chicken lived another half a year. It was a sick chicken from the day we got it so I was surprised it lived that long. If you have to remove eye keep treating for the infection it might have a nice long life as a one eyed chicken.

Back
Top Bottom