Chick with clumpy, stuck together feathers.

3Dchicken

Songster
7 Years
Sep 24, 2012
My chick hatched all by himself a day ago, but he had a stuck out umbilical cord:

This is the most recent picture of it (and best picture). I put polysporin on it a few times, but somehow it got all over him (besides his head) and made his fluff all stick to him (kind of like gelled hair). Now he can't get all fluffy, so I was wondering if I should give him a bath to wash out the polysporin. Maybe a warm, wet washcloth over his fluff? How would I do either of those things?

I think he is part barred rock. He sure is cute! I want to put him with his two sisters soon.

love.gif
I was thinking that maybe the fluff would hide his pink naval so the others wouldn't peck at it. They all will be under red lights, so it would be difficult to his red naval, especially if it was hidden by fluff.

Wipe her clean with a damp washcloth/sponge. Wipe down towards her tail, so you don't mess up her fluff. If you can, work under a heat lamp, so she doesn't get cold. When you're done you can wipe her down, again towards the tail, with some tissue paper to help her dry off quicker. The tissue paper will absorb some of the moisture.

Wipe her clean with a damp washcloth/sponge. Wipe down towards her tail, so you don't mess up her fluff. If you can, work under a heat lamp, so she doesn't get cold. When you're done you can wipe her down, again towards the tail, with some tissue paper to help her dry off quicker. The tissue paper will absorb some of the moisture.
Okay, I will do that. Thanks! I really want her to be with her buddies. Will she be dry and fluffy by tonight do you think?

She will dry off quick once you got her under some heat and wipe her with the tissue paper. So the sooner you get her clean... the sooner she can join her buddies. How's her navel?

She will dry off quick once you got her under some heat and wipe her with the tissue paper. So the sooner you get her clean... the sooner she can join her buddies. How's her navel?
Okay, I did what you said, and she is still wet. Her head and neck is fluffy, and her legs are a little bit, but her back fluff is still pressed against her body. Her naval is drying off. A piece of it fell off earlier, but most of it is still there. There is a pink bump on the end of it with a black dried up cord on it.

What if I were to get a hair dryer and blow dry her feathers out? That would probably hurt...?

Here he is today:

Would it be okay to put him in the brooder with the others? Or is he ot fuzzy enough to keep himself warm yet?

Here is his bum. Is it infected? I hope not.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom