Chick with Coccidia and thiamine deficiency

I really doubt that what you are seeing is a thiamine deficiency. I could be wrong. Is your chick eating any food? I think it can take 3 weeks for a thiamine deficiency to affect a chicken. I would continue giving the Corid plus a daily boost of undiluted Corid, and if you lose one more, take or send it to your state vet for a necropsy. Coccidiosis can cause weakness and dehydration, and can sometimes look like other illnesses. Sorry for your loss.

Bleach can be an issues too stop using bleach around them.

If you are feeling the chick feed there is no way they have a thiamine deficiency.

If you have been feeding vitamins with/while using the Corid them the Corid can't work.

How much Corid are you using with how much water?
I really doubt that what you are seeing is a thiamine deficiency. I could be wrong. Is your chick eating any food? I think it can take 3 weeks for a thiamine deficiency to affect a chicken. I would continue giving the Corid plus a daily boost of undiluted Corid, and if you lose one more, take or send it to your state vet for a necropsy. Coccidiosis can cause weakness and dehydration, and can sometimes look like other illnesses. Sorry for your loss.
The chick is 6 weeks old. He was doing just fine yesterday until this morning when I realized he was only laying down in the brooder not eating or drinking. Where can I take it for a necropsy once it passes? I’m not sure he will make it. Does Coccidia cause a form of paralysis or limpness? That’s the first thing I ever notice until they suddenly get worse

The chick is 6 weeks old. He was doing just fine yesterday until this morning when I realized he was only laying down in the brooder not eating or drinking. Where can I take it for a necropsy once it passes? I’m not sure he will make it. Does Coccidia cause a form of paralysis or limpness? That’s the first thing I ever notice until they suddenly get worse
What state are you in? I would look at this list below for your state vet and call in the morning to ask about a necropsy, costs, and how to get the body there. Keep a body cold, not frozen, wrapped in clean garbage bags, and get it to the lab M-F during business hours. Edited to post the necropsy info:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Last edited:
I'm really curious if you found out what went wrong. I have been in the same boat when getting chicks that have been shipped. There is always one with cocsidosis and I end up having to put them on Corid. I do 1.5tsp in my 1 liter waterer (as per their 1TBSP/gal dose) Then after something like 2 weeks, there are still chicks with cocsi poop. It's so frustrating because I feel like they can't get off the meds.

I'm really curious if you found out what went wrong. I have been in the same boat when getting chicks that have been shipped. There is always one with cocsidosis and I end up having to put them on Corid. I do 1.5tsp in my 1 liter waterer (as per their 1TBSP/gal dose) Then after something like 2 weeks, there are still chicks with cocsi poop. It's so frustrating because I feel like they can't get off the meds.
Welcome to BYC. You might want to start a new thread about your coccidiosis problem, post any pictures that you want, and more people will see that thread and respond. Have you had coccidiosis confirmed by a fecal float, or lost any? The dosage most use is 2 tsp of the liquid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days. 1 TB per gallon is too much. Here is where to post a new thread, just click on the green box:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures.10/

Back
Top Bottom