Chick with Coccidia and thiamine deficiency

ChickyChick66

In the Brooder
Jun 24, 2023
I’ve been treating a polish chick for Coccidia and I am noticing a thiamine deficiency. The chick isn’t walking normally and is only laying down and when he does it looks like as if only one leg works. No, he doesn’t have any injury. I’ve seen this happen to a couple of my other chicks that I’ve been treating with liquid corid but they eventually passed due to lethargy. They experienced paralysis, lethargy, and death. I’ve only been treating them for a week, it’ll be two this Saturday. What can I do?? I’ve noticed bloody poop yesterday so they still have coccidia.

What exactly are you using to treat and
What exactly are you feeding?

Also..do you know if have Marek's disease in your flock?

What exactly are you using to treat and
What exactly are you feeding?

Also..do you know if have Marek's disease in your flock?
9.6% liquid corid. I’m feeding them 20% chick starter. These chicks have been in a brooder in my room and have been separated from the others outside. They had no contact to the ground and none with the other older chicks that passed from what I think now is also a thiamine deficiency(I was treating them for Coccidia too). Originally thought it was mareks, but when I looked at how a lack of thiamine does to a chicken, the whole list checked. I’m always cleaning their brooder with diluted bleach to have a clean and sanitary place. I haven’t mixed any vitamins with their corid but now it definitely looks like the polish is suffering from thiamine deficiency. I know Coccidia feeds off of thiamine, and now it looks like a deficiency. Not sure what to do.

9.6% liquid corid. I’m feeding them 20% chick starter. These chicks have been in a brooder in my room and have been separated from the others outside. They had no contact to the ground and none with the other older chicks that passed from what I think now is also a thiamine deficiency(I was treating them for Coccidia too). Originally thought it was mareks, but when I looked at how a lack of thiamine does to a chicken, the whole list checked. I’m always cleaning their brooder with diluted bleach to have a clean and sanitary place. I haven’t mixed any vitamins with their corid but now it definitely looks like the polish is suffering from thiamine deficiency. I know Coccidia feeds off of thiamine, and now it looks like a deficiency. Not sure what to do.
Bleach can be an issues too stop using bleach around them.

If you are feeling the chick feed there is no way they have a thiamine deficiency.

If you have been feeding vitamins with/while using the Corid them the Corid can't work.

How much Corid are you using with how much water?

I haven’t mixed any vitamins with their corid but now it definitely looks like the polish is suffering from thiamine deficiency. I know Coccidia feeds off of thiamine, and now it looks like a deficiency. Not sure what to do.

If you can divide the brooder, maybe separate that one chick and give it a thiamine supplement but no corid. If that helps, you can be pretty sure about what was happening. If it does not help, then you know to look for some other problem.

Or if the corid does not seem to be working anyway, you could change the whole pen over from corid to a thiamine supplement, and see if they get better or worse. (If they really have coccidiosis, of course they will get worse if you try that. But if they do have a thiamine deficiency, that would probably fix it.)

Back
Top Bottom