Chick with injured leg

MzRufio

In the Brooder
Jun 11, 2023
Scranton, KS
Well, I didn't expect this to be my first thread.

4 week old Easter Egger got out of the brooder this morning during feeding. Not unusual. In the course of rounding her up, the wood frame we use for a lid fell on one of her legs. It skinned her pretty good. There's a half moon cut on the top of her foot. Did a water flush to make sure there wasn't any foreign material and carried her around in a towel until it clotted and stopped bleeding; took about 10 minutes. She's currently sequestered on clean bedding with fresh water and feed, but doesn't want to stand up. I articulated the leg and everything seems to be moving correctly, but she's not giving any resistance. Not sure if it's limp or if she was just in shock.

Is there anything else I should be doing while she heals up?

Welcome To BYC

Do you have photos?
I'd just keep the wound clean, apply a little triple antibiotic ointment as needed.

She may be in a bit of shock or pain, they can just sort of sit quietly when injured.
I'd consider putting her with her flockmates to see if she perks up a bit but do monitor that they don't start picking at her wound.

Welcome To BYC

Do you have photos?
I'd just keep the wound clean, apply a little triple antibiotic ointment as needed.

She may be in a bit of shock or pain, they can just sort of sit quietly when injured.
I'd consider putting her with her flockmates to see if she perks up a bit but do monitor that they don't start picking at her wound.
She's pretty well scabbed over today. She's not moving around much in her private box. I wanted to give her a few days before putting her back in the brooder. There are 15 in there and they play pretty rough.

I'm now wondering about whether I need to give her a bath before I put her back in as she's got quite a bit of dried blood where she was cradling the leg against her before it clotted.

Is the dried blood on the feathers? You can try using a bit of Hydrogen Peroxide to wipe the blood off feathers, if that doesn't work, a little clean up with soap/water may be needed. Dry her well afterward so she doesn't get chilled.

Back
Top Bottom