Chick with long blade of grass stuck in intestines

goats-n-oats

Songster
Feb 10, 2022
A male chick, three months old and the smallest of his age group, has been looking sad for about a week. He had the typical coccidia zombie pose. I gave him probiotics, Corid, and oregano oil, and he perked up and started eating again, and his eyes looked more open. Today, sad again. He had some stringy diarrhea and 4" of a blade of grass (hay) hanging out of his vent. I tried tugging out the rest of the hay gently but it's stuck. I gave him 1cc mineral oil. The hay could have a flower at the end of it. Any ideas how to help him?

Just keep doing what you are doing.. The blade of grass may eventually work its way out on its own. Pulling on it is probably not a good idea.. The pulling action may cause intestinal breakage/tearing.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :hugs

Ok thx. I pulled really very gently until the first sign of resistance, so I hope that didn't harm him. I just cut the visible portion with scissors.
Just keep doing what you are doing.. The blade of grass may eventually work its way out on its own. Pulling on it is probably not a good idea.. The pulling action may cause intestinal breakage/tearing.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :hugs

Suggestion for next time this happens. Feed coconut oil, & give something containing molasses for laxatives, & slickening of the insides. Make sure grit is offered the same day to help with grinding plant material in the gizzard.

Had a cockerel with a grassy blockage in his vent, earlier this year. His blockage was cleared overnight.

Suggestion for next time this happens. Feed coconut oil, & give something containing molasses for laxatives, & slickening of the insides. Make sure grit is offered the same day to help with grinding plant material in the gizzard.

Had a cockerel with a grassy blockage in his vent, earlier this year. His blockage was cleared overnight.
OK! good to know! Thanks :) Happy new year!

Hi all, I just wanted to follow up about this little hen. She had another episode of weakness, droopy head, and half-open eyes. She was thin and trembling. I think she has been dealing with hypothermia, not coccidia. Although she is 4 months old, she's the smallest of her cohort. I tried installing a heat lamp over her cage, and a few days later her eyes and activity level seem normal.

Back
Top Bottom