Chicken acting normal with diarrehea

andrea289

In the Brooder
May 5, 2017
I have a 7 month of hen that started acting strange 5 days ago. At first she was fine, then two of my chickens got out and found some new bales of hay that I had delivered. I got the chickens back in, but that afternoon she started going off by herself. I started watching her and discovered she had diarrhea. I gave her some probiotic yogurt, then by the next day she was acting normal again except for not laying any eggs. She has been a consist layer for a few months. All the other chickens are fine. She hasn't laid in 5 days, and I'm getting a little worried. Is there anything I need to look out for or just wait and see?

Hi
frow.gif
Welcome To BYC

Is her crop emptying overnight?

Feel the crop when she goes to roost, then first then in the morning before eating/drinking. At night should be full, morning empty.

As far as I can tell, she is emptying it. I'm a fairly new chicken owner and I've never had any issues with them before.

Can you post some photos of the poop?
What are you feeding?
How old is she?

They can take a break from laying eggs occasionally. Keep watch on her for symptoms like not eating/drinking, lethargy or weight loss.

She no longer has diarrhea. She's eating and drinking normal. She has started standing around with her tail down. I'm feeding her organic feed and they free range in my yard.

She's 70 months old. She almost looks like she depressed but perks up if I give mealworms

MEAL worms can be like crack to chickens.
meaning they will do anything for them.
wink.png

Last edited:
have you tried soaking her in a warm epsom salt bath
or felt inside of her vent for an egg?

Back
Top Bottom