Chicken ate necklace… might be in her intestines, vet said it was near

It's rough having to watch your chicken die slowly. It's not much easier having them go suddenly. When you realize there is no chance of recovery, you need to take your cue from your hen when she is tired of struggling and end it for her.
We just kept praying and praying and actually believe it or not she got better! The medicine the vet gave us for her she has been taking it and got better :) she’s not exactly her old self again BUUUTTT she is eating much more again and pooping again as well. She comes when we call her and she gets very excited as we give her the treats she loves! She doesn’t eat much of her chicken feed, but we try to make sure she does, if not we still feed her home food, yogurt, greens, veggies, and fruits!! She has gotten much better, except I do see her little pouch growing again and she is a bit skinnier than before but she is more happy and active. We took her out today, she bathed in dirt, and we helped her look for some wormies! Her favorite :) we call her for them and she comes.

I suspect malnourishment. Bags of pellets are in no way anything resembling a complete diet any more than stale bread and water for a prisoner is appetizing. Chooks require a broad range of foods and mechanical items and pathogens to live properly. They need all human food scraps from your kitchen and your neighbors, plus everything from your favorite restaurants, and to free range so they can eat stones, which take the place of teeth in a human. They have a stomach like a small tennis ball with thick muscle all around it, they use it to chew on food, so they eat rocks to use as teeth to grind food. They require calcium. I feed mine eggshells without problems because they have enough nutrients they will not attack eggs unless the egg is broken by me. If they eat a necklace it may be an indication of much larger problem.

Wondering if anyone could help me out with advice or tips and suggestions. My chicken has a necklace in her with a big chain. Not sure what type it is, vet said she would send the X-ray pictures and never did.. might call up and ask for them. Wondering if anyone could help me out on what to do for my chicken to help pass the necklace. :(
Update for anyone wondering.. she just passed today unfortunately

I suspect malnourishment. Bags of pellets are in no way anything resembling a complete diet any more than stale bread and water for a prisoner is appetizing. Chooks require a broad range of foods and mechanical items and pathogens to live properly. They need all human food scraps from your kitchen and your neighbors, plus everything from your favorite restaurants,
Pellets(or crumbles) are a complete balance of nutrition for chickens. The not so great pellets is layer feed, which is only for high Production egg layers such as Leghorns, Isa Browns, & other high Production hybrids. These are birds that lay early, & heavy, but also die early.

Kitchen scraps are no more then treats, & should be not fed as a main diet. Hens/or just chickens in general would be unhealthy, overweight, or malnourished with this type of feeding. Treats should not exceed 10% of their diet.

They have a stomach like a small tennis ball with thick muscle all around it, they use it to chew on food, so they eat rocks to use as teeth to grind food.
Gizzard. Chickens don't have a stomach.

Back
Top Bottom