Chicken ate necklace… might be in her intestines, vet said it was near

Jennifer010605

Chirping
Jul 10, 2023
Wondering if anyone could help me out with advice or tips and suggestions. My chicken has a necklace in her with a big chain. Not sure what type it is, vet said she would send the X-ray pictures and never did.. might call up and ask for them. Wondering if anyone could help me out on what to do for my chicken to help pass the necklace. :(

Feed raw egg white for the next 24 hours. Depending on how large this piece of jewelry is whether it will pass through the gizzard. If it does, expect it to look like it was run through a garbage disposal when you get it back.

Ask to see the x-rays. This may not be the only hardware this hen has consumed. If you find she has swallowed other metals, she probably has a condition called pica. This affects animals and humans alike where non-food items are consumed obsessively. When a chicken has this disorder, they eventually die, often of metal poisoning if not starvation from being blocked by a lot of metal in the digestive system.

Since learning about this condition, I meticulously pick up screws, nails and staples as I work. The same goes for string and yarn. You wouldn't believe how much damage string can do to a chicken.

Feed raw egg white for the next 24 hours. Depending on how large this piece of jewelry is whether it will pass through the gizzard. If it does, expect it to look like it was run through a garbage disposal when you get it back.

Ask to see the x-rays. This may not be the only hardware this hen has consumed. If you find she has swallowed other metals, she probably has a condition called pica. This affects animals and humans alike where non-food items are consumed obsessively. When a chicken has this disorder, they eventually die, often of metal poisoning if not starvation from being blocked by a lot of metal in the digestive system.

Since learning about this condition, I meticulously pick up screws, nails and staples as I work. The same goes for string and yarn. You wouldn't believe how much damage string can do to a chicken.
I had a cat once that ate string and plastic (plastic bags, tulle, anything she could masticate). I once pulled 3 yards of a skein of yarn back out of her. That was the last time I left any type of string unsecured.

Now, I worry about the unraveling edges of feed bags and house wrap. Some pretty long strings of plastic can come off of those. I use feed bags and/or house wrap to provide shade on isolation cages, protect roosts/walls from poo, etc. but have to keep an eye on them. Once they start to unravel they get replaced.

They showed us the x ray it was the only necklace in her and she showed symptoms too so it was definitely recently because she was never like that or even acted like that before. The chain was very long as well. It’s near or in her intestine. I’ll try the egg white, what will that do?

I have a feeling she will pass by metal poisoning or even starvation. She isn’t eating as much. When we took her to the vet, the whole bottom of her was swollen. They had to put needles to drain her. She’s building up all that fluid again because not only can she digest properly but she can’t even eat properly either. It’s so sad because her. Favorite foods we feed her and she doesn’t eat it :( she used to run to us when we called her and be so excited over what treat were offered her.

I have a feeling she will pass by metal poisoning or even starvation. She isn’t eating as much. When we took her to the vet, the whole bottom of her was swollen. They had to put needles to drain her. She’s building up all that fluid again because not only can she digest properly but she can’t even eat properly either. It’s so sad because her. Favorite foods we feed her and she doesn’t eat it :( she used to run to us when we called her and be so excited over what treat were offered her.
I'm so very sorry. It's hard to see them struggling and in pain. Sending you supportive thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom