Chicken attack graphic pics

the chick chic

Hatching
Jul 21, 2015
Minnesota
Hi everyone! I'm new to the site but been getting great info from the site for awhile. My question to all is my hen "Ballina" was attacked by something a couple of days ago :( she has a huge laceration from her ear lobe down to her neck and a cut above her vent. I took her to the vet and she's on antibiotics and pain meds. But I don't know what attcked her. The vet thought either a feral cat or hawk. Any thoughts? Thanks
[/IMG][/IMG]

welcome-byc.gif

I'm sorry your Ballina was injured, but it's nice you have access to have a vet that will see chickens. My first thought would be a hawk, it looks like there's a puncture in the picture. If you post this over on the predator forum, someone there would probably be able to give you a better idea.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/13/predators-and-pests

I hope she's healed soon!

Welcome to the BYC flock, though I wish it were under better circumstances! We are glad you joined us!

jumpy.gif
D.gif
welcome-byc.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif

Glad you were able to get her vet care and medication. I hope she makes a complete recovery.

Welcome to Backyard chickens. You may want to check out the predator threads to help determine what type of predator attacked her & how to prevent it from happening again. Also the coop section for advice on predator proof coop and covered runs. If you free range, predator attacks are going to happen from time to time. Some folks don't feel the risk is worth it. Chickens can be just as content in an enclosed run.

Back
Top Bottom