Chicken attacked by dog

kitey1345

In the Brooder
Oct 11, 2016
PLEASE HELP!
I picked some chickens and one looks like she's been attacked by a dog. The skin looks like its been torn away. I've separated her from her flock and have been keeping her quiet. The wound looks like its been healing but I have no idea on whether it is healing correctly or not. I've attached a picture of the wound and any advice would be appreciated (including products and where to find them because I have no clue). I hope the picture is okay if not let me know and I'll try and take another. I'm in Australia and it's pretty hot and humid at the moment so I'm worried about infection. I have been washing it out with a saline solution twice daily. She has been eating and drinking and seems quite aware but is (understandably) quiet.

Thank you!!
Chicken.jpg
Chicken.jpg

Saline is good for treating the wound, but you could also use weakened iodine or chlorhexidene to wash the wound. Plain antibiotic ointment without pain relief, is good to coat the wound twice a day. Where is the wound located? Usually wounds will fill in with tissue over several weeks if infection or internal injuries are not present. Keeping her separate from the other chickens, perhaps in a dog cage in the coop or inside with you, will keep the others feom pecking her wound. Some extra protein from egg, tuna, or meat can help with her reccovery. I hope that she recovers.

I'm gonna say pump the brakes on the chlorhexidine and iodine just for now. We do need a clearer picture. Trim those feathers up and get a very clear view of the wound. You need to ascertain whether this is a deep organ comprising (in which case you stick with sterile saline and water washouts) or if it is a superficial wound (which absolutely irrigate and/or clean with diluted iodine and chlorhexidine in sterile water).

I only say this because I have never seen them do bowel or deep wound washouts with iodine or chlorhexidine on people in the medical field. They are great surgical preps, but always used topically in my experience.

With some clearer pictures we can definitely give you some good guidance. One of mine was recently lost to a dog attack so I completely empathize with what you and the bird are going through.

Betadine and chlorhexidene are fine for deeper wounds as well. Follow label directions for diluting with water. These are very good initially used once or twice for dirty wounds and bites, to help prevent infections.

I'm in Australia and it's pretty hot and humid at the moment so I'm worried about infection.

You have received excellent advice from @Eggcessive

The only thing I will add is about your comment that your in summer in AU. If you can keep her inside away from flies that would be great. I understand for some people it's not a practical solution for them. A while back someone else from AU had an injured hen, they needed her to be kept outside - they placed her in a wire dog kennel, then covered the kennel with I think they called it "fly wire" which I assume is what we would call window screen here in the US. Seemed to work well keeping the flies at bay.
Just a thought, I hope she recovers soon.

Deep wounds, yes. If there is organ involvement, which could easily be the case with a dog attack, not so much. Below I have copied and pasted the warnings and precautions for .5-5% concentrations for chlorhexidine.

"Warnings and Precautions For external use only. Avoid contact with brain, meninges and middle ear. If there is contact with these areas, rinse out promptly and thoroughly with water. Keep out of eyes. If chlorhexidine solutions come into contact with eyes, wash out promptly and thoroughly with water. The antimicrobial activity of chlorhexidine may be diminished through incompatibility or through adsorption. Its activity may also be reduced in the presence of organic matter such as blood and pus. Do not use in body cavities."

What the specific dilution is to be safe for internal usage I am not sure which is why I always advocate caution until a conclusive wound assessment can be made.

Betadine is also listed for topical use but is safe to use on mucous membranes; it should also be noted that the longer betadine has to dry on a surface the more effective it is at reducing organism growth. When used on large wounds severe side effects of kidney injury, metabolic acidosis and increased sodium may occur.

I am not saying is that they would not achieve the desired effect, but I am recommending playing to each chemical's strength and advising caution respective to their contraindications. Betadine and Chlorhexidine are "painting" solutions" for disinfecting topical wounds and the area surrounding them to prevent organism migration into the wound.

If you are looking for a wound irrigant, sterile saline, sterile water, potable water, 3% hydrogen peroxide (followed by saline/water irrigation), and betadine (however it is toxic to cells). If you have organ involvement warm saline/sterile water is the recommended irrigant but DO use "painting solutions" for the external aspects for reasons explained above.

Well, this got into the weeds quick lol. Been a slow night shift.

Back
Top Bottom