Chicken attacked by raccoon, shock (warning graphic pictures)

i went out to check on the other two chicks. I brought Spots with me. I let her run the run and coop and she chased the other two out of the coop. I think this is good for her on rehab and remaining the top alpha. I brought her back to the rehab room I have been keeping her in. She is eating normal chick food now and loves the antibiotic and electrolytes I have been given to her. When carrying her she is so gentle and does not fight me. I guess she must trust me so much. I did have a fight catching her at first.

Spots is looking better every day. I can see small feather fuzee coming in on each side of her face. Her back of head still has the black blood but treating with Neosporin still. She is eating and drinking very well. Also loves treats. I can tell she doesn't like being alone. I visit her all day long. My other young ones turning one are doing well in the coop They do make a strong call in the morning. I think they are scared out there with no other older chickens with them. I have been bringing her out there every day except today I just am so busy. Feel bad as I think the social aspects is important. I will take pictures tomorrow so you can see how well she is doing.

Spots is doing really well. She is growing in her feathers on the sides of her head and top. Still waiting on the back of her head as dried black blood just recently dropped. She is out in the coop hanging out with my other two chickens and still the alpha. The first picture shows her wattle is gone but does show a little red as well her crown was taken out but does show a little red, what is left. Her other wattle is fine.

Attachments

• spots.JPG
    spots.JPG
    208.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 339633690_3079431825692772_3829941376783817281_n.jpg
    339633690_3079431825692772_3829941376783817281_n.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Spots is doing really well. She is growing in her feathers on the sides of her head and top. Still waiting on the back of her head as blood just recently dropped. She is out in the coop hanging out with my other two chickens and still the alpha. The first picture shows her wattle is gone but does show a little red as well her crown was taken out but does show a little red, what is left. Her other wattle is fine.
Thanks for update! She looks much better.

Thanks for update! She looks much better.
I was amazed how fast the facial feathers came in I am hoping for the back of her head will do this as well. I am going to give it another week. She is now acting like a regular chicken. Can not wait to put her back with the other two chickens. Not sure if they would attack her at this point, as they seem to show great respect to her when I bring her out with them in the coop. I know she is not happy being by her own in the rehab coop dog cage. I was going to buy the blue spray and try this to return her to the two other chickens, shortly. The two young ones are very scared being in the coop, as they have always had older chickens out there.

I was amazed how fast the facial feathers came in I am hoping for the back of her head will do this as well. I am going to give it another week. She is now acting like a regular chicken. Can not wait to put her back with the other two chickens. Not sure if they would attack her at this point, as they seem to show great respect to her when I bring her out with them in the coop. I know she is not happy being by her own in the rehab coop dog cage. I was going to buy the blue spray and try this to return her to the two other chickens, shortly. The two young ones are very scared being in the coop, as they have always had older chickens out there.
Sounds like a good plan. Your doing a great job with her

Sounds like a good plan. Your doing a great job with her
Thank you, she is such a fighter and amazes me for how old she is. Acts like nothing is wrong now. I can tell she really likes to be back in her coop. We are still getting snow and I know she isn't ready for the change in weather, as I have kept her room a nice 70 degrees, I am lowering the temperature now in the rehab room for adjustment for next week. My plan is next weekend to return her to the coop. Also, to use the blue spray, even thou she really doesn't have blood on her anymore. Not sure if this is necessary at this point. As the other two chickens seem to respect her still and afraid of her still as being the alpha. I have bringing her with me each day when feeding them and changing the water out. So, I have been watching the reactions with her and the other two babies while she is with them.

She's looking good!
Recovering very nicely, you've done such a good job taking care of her.

If she's been around the other 2 and they have seen her this way, then I'd be inclined to leave her "natural" when you try putting her back. You want her to look familiar to them, so keep us with the visits.
A sudden "change" in appearance with the Blu Kote or similar bluing could make the other 2 not recognize her or they may be so curious they decide to pick at her.
I DO like Blu Kote for its properties, but I've also seen picking because of it as well.

She's looking good!
Recovering very nicely, you've done such a good job taking care of her.

If she's been around the other 2 and they have seen her this way, then I'd be inclined to leave her "natural" when you try putting her back. You want her to look familiar to them, so keep us with the visits.
A sudden "change" in appearance with the Blu Kote or similar bluing could make the other 2 not recognize her or they may be so curious they decide to pick at her.
I DO like Blu Kote for its properties, but I've also seen picking because of it as well.
Regarding the blue kote, I agree with your assessment and will not use. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom